Continuous tracks when mixing/burning

xotsx

I'm trying to figure out how to get one song to overlap with the next on a cd, the way a lot of bands do. (ie. having a song intro on a seperate track than the song but not having space between them) I am using Sonar to record and only have Nero for burning. I was wondering if anyone has done this and if you could help me out. thanks.

yeah

I think I'm going to get wavelab. I know a lot of people here use it, but I've also heard that it's kind of complicated. How hard is it going to be to do this once I get the program?? Any tips on how to do it?

I'm not sure of the programs you use, but this is a way that should work no matter what programs you are using.

Finish mixing/mastering both tunes.
Take the stereo files and import them into the Sonar on seperate tracks.
Nudge them to where you want and draw in any crossfades that are necessary.
Then highlight from the beginning of the first tune up until where you want the "ID" of the second tune to hit.
Bounce (or render, or whatever it is called in Sonar) the highlighted selection.
Next, highlight from EXACTLY where the first selection ended to the end of the second song.
Bounce this selection.
Go into your CD burning program (Nero), and add the tracks to the playlist.
Set the "Pause" before the second track to "0 seconds"
Burn your CD.

Hope this works for you. I'm probably not the best at explaining things clearly.

There's a few ways to do it in WaveLab, such as the Audio Montage, but it may be more program than you need. CD Architect is designed just for that - making CD's, and it's very easy to use.

the way mixandmaster suggested can lead you on the right track, but you will still probably here a slight change in tracks. This is because you need to get every track to end at exactly where the next block of CD data starts. In each block of data on a normal CD there is 588 samples. If you end at, say, the 335th sample, the next track will start at the next block leaving a gap of 253 samples. This can be noticeable. And Mixandmaster's way of crossfading will work best for DJ mixes and other similar projects but you probably don't want a crossfade from the intro of a song right into the 1st verse. So here's the way you can do it (some of these commands i'll mention are Pro Tools specific since that's what I use to do this, but I'm sure you can find them in other programs too):
1) In your multitrack program place all the songs on one track in order
2) Make sure they are each shuffled up next to eachother.
3) Place markers where each song starts so you can find them later
4) Select the first one and find out how many samples are in it
5) Pull out a calculator, take the number of samples in the first song...divide by 588. Round it to the nearest whole number
6) Multiply it by 588.
7) This number will be slightly different than the first one but you only by a small fraction of a second.
8) Do a time compression/expansion and change the length of the first song to the new numbers of samples that you got
9) Do this to all of the songs
10) Bounce all the songs down individually
11) Then when burning just do what mixandmaster suggested earlier. Open up Toast or something and change the Pause to 0 sec in between the tracks.

The transition between intro and song should be seemless. Good luck. :cool:

bennychico11 said:
8) Do a time compression/expansion and change the length of the first song to the new numbers of samples that you got
9) Do this to all of the songs
10) Bounce all the songs down individually:cool:

Thanks for the tip but wouldn't it be better to move the edit point to a multiple of 588samples rather then applying destructive time compression to the entire song?

hmmm....I think I see your point. Even though you probably won't notice any change in the track, destructively editing it probably isn't good. Now, do you mean moving the cursor to a multiple of 588 and then separating the track there and combining the leftovers with the second track?? I think that would probably be better, yes. The way I learned it was to cross fade the songs into a DJ mix, so I was trying to adapt it to his situation. Thanks for the correction. :cool:

TexRoadkill said:
Thanks for the tip but wouldn't it be better to move the edit point to a multiple of 588samples rather then applying destructive time compression to the entire song?

If you want to get into that kind of detail, you can time compress the very end of the track....or move your marker. You won't notice if the ID is 587 samples "off."

ok

Alright, I got wavelab 4 and I think I've got the basic stuff figured out that I need to do this. If anyone has any little tips or anything to help me with the track positioning in the audio montage I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Ryan

Back