Continued prob with Mackie VLZPro1202 & Sonar 4

Skycries57

... continuing problem with my home recording rig. I hooked it up EXACTLY according to Mackie's webiste and "Track 2 continues to ALSO record track 1 at the same time I'm recording onto track 2.

In other words, after recording a basic drum machine onto track 1, then record track 2 while track 1 is playing back, not only track 2 records me, but ALSO track 1 is recorded at the same time!!!??? You can hear BOTH track 1 and 2 on track 2 playback when you have track 1 on mute.

I still can't figure it out after weeks of talking to people on here and software gurus at GC. I'm pretty sure this is a pretty easy fix, but a month has gone by with no progress, so I would consider it pretty serious.

Thanks for all your help and please step up and take the challenge on solving this!

Again, I have my rig all hooked up according to Mackies recommended "hook-up guide" on their website. Here is my current set up:

-Sonar 4 Studio
-Mackie VLZPro 1202
-Audiophile 2496
-Windows XP Pro
-80 gig hard drive
-512 ddr ram 2700
...etc.

How do you have it wired?

Specifically, how is the Mackie feeding to your sound card? If you are feeding the Main Outs or the Control Room Outs to the sound card you are going to record anything that goes through the Mackie.

You need to run from either the Channel Direct Outs (or Channel Inserts if your model does not have Direct Outs) in order to get an isolated feed of each channel. Then be sure the Track Input for the track you are recording to is set to only record the input which is receiving the signal to be recorded.

Have you checked the settings in the software mixer/Delta panel?
That may be the source of your problems.

Ok, I think I figured it out, well someone at GC recommended I do this on the Sonar 4 software after trying to remember for the last 2 weeks:

Record track 1 as normal, then before recording track 2, I would "pan full right of track 1 and pick INPUT of track 1 "Right M Audio Delta ap multi 1/2"...

Then for preperation of recording track 2, I would "pan fully left of track 2 and pick INPUT of track 2 "Left M Audio Delta ap multi 1/2" .

After recording is done, I would "pan center" of both track 1 and 2. Now it works perfect, tracks are recorded and heard INDIVIDUALLY BY THEMSELVES with ZERO bleed through or double recordings!

Also have my "main out" of my VLZPro to ins of sound card, rather than recommended Mackie of "outs of alt 3/4" in back of unit. This also made a
difference. This is the only change I did to the mixer. I have heard of having the ins or outs on the "tape in/output", whats the advantage of this?

The outs L/R of the soundcard are: L soundcard output in channel 3 input mixer, R output soundcard in channel 4 input, with L as full pan left, R as full pan right on mixer. I found this to work the best for me, or do you guys have an alternative?

Now why would Sonar make it this confusing compared to 2.2 XL ? What would be the advantages of Sonar 4 over 2.2 XL other than appearance?

If you guys have any inputs, I'd be glad to here them. Thanks again!

Back