Contemplating:selling the twelve string

FZmontanaDF

I have a Taylor 555 twelve string geetar that I got about 9 months ago. It is mahoghany/sitka, 99 model. It really is a wonderful sounding acoustic guitar...and I play it a lot, but it really isn't the easiest thing to fingerpick. Mostly good for strumming. I love fingerstyle, and would like a better fingerstyle guitar, plus a new electric guitar. I can't decide if I should sell it. I think I can get around $1200 for it. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Daniel

12 stings are a novelty instrument to me. Play them once and a while, record them rarely.

All depends, how often to you play it? If you play it a lot and it's integral to your sound, keep it. If it sits in the corner gathering dust, sell it.

Listen to some Leo Kottke and Kelly Joe Phelps before you make your final decision.

Unless you already have, in which case, off that dust-gatherer.

I have to agree with Emeric, definitely a specialty instrument, unless it's your main guitar and an integral part of your sound.

foo

Hey dude,
I'll give 100.00 for it. And you don't have to clean the dust off.
he he he. 12 strings are neat, I wish I had one. Keep it man, and start saving for other guitars you want. I bet if you sell it, we'll see you here one day telling everyone that you had a nice 12 string but sold it and wish you hadn't.
dtb

Uh... why don't you remove the higher octave strings and use it as a 6?

Light bulb! I could never part with my Takamine.

You must like chicken too. Guitars are "finger pickin' good."

Last edited:
Woudn't that make the action awfully low?! If you take off half the tension on the neck I don't think it will stay still as if nothing happened to it. I never had one myself, but I think the neck would curve and make it unplayable.

As for selling it, well you should check your income rate and see when you'll be able to buy your electric. If its soon enough (a year?), keep it. You'll still be able to play albeit not as good as you would. Otherwise, well do think about it. For me an instrument is not something you toss off and get back without loss either quality or heartbreak.

Personally, I prefer the 12 string over the 6. I don't know what type of music you play, but for me, I would nearly always choose a 12 string as a rhythm instrument. Just strumming away...I listen to a lot of Bob Mould and Kristin Hersh, so that is probably why I prefer it...just me wanting to be my CD collection. They just sound way cooler to my ears...

Then again, as Emeric said, the important thing is whether or not it is part of your sound. Mine is, but it yours may not work for you.

$1200 would get you something real purty, though...have you considered selling it and using the money to buy something nice for your wife/girlfriend? : )

Nate

...damn I wish I had $1200 to buy a new guitar...

Bighand said:
Uh... why don't you remove the higher octave strings and use it as a 6?

Light bulb! I could never part with my Takamine.

You must like chicken too. Guitars are "finger pickin' good."
Sounds like shit like that.

Nate said:
Personally, I prefer the 12 string over the 6. I don't know what type of music you play, but for me, I would nearly always choose a 12 string as a rhythm instrument. Just strumming away...I listen to a lot of Bob Mould and Kristin Hersh, so that is probably why I prefer it...just me wanting to be my CD collection. They just sound way cooler to my ears...

Then again, as Emeric said, the important thing is whether or not it is part of your sound. Mine is, but it yours may not work for you.

$1200 would get you something real purty, though...have you considered selling it and using the money to buy something nice for your wife/girlfriend? : )

Nate

...damn I wish I had $1200 to buy a new guitar...

Personally, I am not a real big strummer. Don't have a wife/girlfriend. I am only 15. I was very lucky to get this guitar for half the new price, and can sell it for more than I got it for. I think they go for $1700 new. I like the thing but I can't decide. My income isn't very much at all right now, can't get a job because of legal things in NC. Though I will be getting a job in June when I turn 15 and working my ass off all summer.
Thanks for the reply,
Daniel

Back