Contacting labels

Jonathan El-Biz

Hi all,

The project I'm currently involved in has reached the point where we need to start shopping for release label.

The music is in a downtempo organic electronica vein, centered by killer vocals. It's been described here as "Sadie meets Radiohead" :>

I have a list of a few indie labels that release similar sounding stuff, and I'm getting ready to start making contact with them. Has anyone who's been down this road got any advice?

In a nutshell, I'm going to hit them all with a email, sending them to my site, and follow up with a demo cd if requested, or if the've already asked for one in their contact info. Sound good? With the demo, I'm going to include a brief bio of the two of us. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jonathan El-Bizri

Don't send out an email. Get people on the phone.

Before you do...have a one minute "elevator speech" to get them interested. It needs to not only talk about the style of music you do, but also how much interest you've gotten for it on your own. i.e. how many you have sold and how many people are coming to your shows.

If you're looking for a database of labels, hit www.musicbizbooks.com/ for a few.

Good luck!

Another thing to investigate that a lot of people don't realize, is whether or not the labels you are interested in will even take an unsolicited demo. Call and find out. Talk to a real person, and get names.

You may well want to consider enlisting the services of a well-respected entertainment lawyer or manager who will have the contacts already established, which will in turn give your demos added credibility.

Chris

Chris Tondreau said:
Another thing to investigate that a lot of people don't realize, is whether or not the labels you are interested in will even take an unsolicited demo. Call and find out. Talk to a real person, and get names.

Absolutely. And an entertainment attorney (or somebody speaking for you) will help since it's always better to listen to somebody speaking about you than hear you talk about yourself.

In the end though, you need something to offer...and what labels usually want to see is a combination of sales, live show attendance, and an already built up fanbase.

--
$100,000/year in the Music Business (Without a Record Label)

Only $19 from www.musicbizbooks.com and Kathode Ray Music!

Back