Considering trading my guitar

dainbramage

I just found a custom one-of-a-kind guitar being sold locally. The luthier who made this has made guitars for some pretty well-known people. This one was made for a relatively famous guitarist in Norway who has sadly passed away.

Look at this puppy:

74_637490141.jpg

I am in love. Tele(ish) body and Les Paul neck. Has been owned by some famous guitarists (well, famous in Norway anyway). But will I regret it if I let go of my AVRI Jazzmaster 62? Of course, who knows?

Seymor Duncan bridge pickup, custom prototype neck pickup. Supposedly around 3000-3500 USD when it was new about 15 years ago. Mint condition.

The choices! The choices! Ah!

Anyway I just thought I'd post that. I'll probably go play the guitar next week if it isn't sold :guitar:

The only way is to play it and as objectively as possible form some opinions about how it plays/sounds. Try to forget what it is in terms of who, what, why. If it really sounds and plays better than what you have then you might consider buying it. The man trap is a common one in respect of seeing something which appears to be a must have, unfortunately our minds can make things seem to perform better if we have a hankering for them.

Regards

Tim

The only way is to play it and as objectively as possible form some opinions about how it plays/sounds. Try to forget what it is in terms of who, what, why. If it really sounds and plays better than what you have then you might consider buying it. The man trap is a common one in respect of seeing something which appears to be a must have, unfortunately our minds can make things seem to perform better if we have a hankering for them.

Regards

Tim

Good point! I'll try to remain as objective as possible. The luthier is well known though, and is said to make outstanding guitars, which is probably why he makes them for those musicians. But yeah, I'll definitely keep that in mind when/if I try it.

Just because the guy builds excellent guitars, it doesn't mean that that particular guitar is the perfect one for you.

Just because the guy builds excellent guitars, it doesn't mean that that particular guitar is the perfect one for you.

Very true. I'll try it and see and try not to let the GAS prevail.

---------- Update ----------

The luthier is well known though, and is said to make outstanding guitars, which is probably why he makes them for those musicians.

Then again, so is and does Fender..

I have a custom guitar built by a small scale luthier (as opposed to a big manufacturer) and it's incredibly well made. If the guy is established and has been around a while it's almost certainly a well made instrument. It's just a question of whether it's nice for you. Have some stuff in mind that you want to play so you don't get paralysis when you pick it up!

Back