Connector Quandary

tamky

OK, my new M-Audio Firewire has 1/4" TS outputs to use for my studio speakers, BUT the speakers have only 2 types of analog connections - 1/4" TSR and XLRs. Do they make a cord with 1/4" TS on one end and 1/4" TSR on the other? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of balanced connections causing signal/volume loss? OR should I buy a cable with 1/4" TSR on one end and Balanced XLR on the other?
Decision, decisions :confused:

you can't balance an unbalanced signal by using a TS to TRS cable. If the soundcard puts out unbalanced that's what it will stay. However, ideally you would use the correct cable for the connectors on both ends.

That said, it would probably work fine if you just run an unbalanced cable from the soundcard to the speakers.

If you really want to balance the signal you would need to get a balancing box, like the matchbox II. However, that's most likely not necessary at all.

it will work

If the output is TS, then plugging a TRS cable into it will work. The jack inside will either;
1)tip - tip , ring - sleeve , sleeve to sleeve

2)tip - tip, ring to nothing, sleeve to sleeve

Look at mfg specs for the gear to see what it uses.

Refer to the Rane site for a cable guide. As long as the distance is as short as possible, no worries over the slight loss of signal. That path is not truly calibrated.The scenario in #1 above is most likely and is as close as you can get.

Back