connection question

johntheson

Greetings,
I have been playing music for 40 years but know nothing about recording with computers. I also build computers, so I know I have the proper equipment there(except pro sound card). I want to eventuall y purchase all the nice stuff I'm going to need but I want to get started first to make sure I'm going to stick with it all the way. I now have a Martin HD 28 with an LR Baggs passive I Beam pickup that I run through an LR Baggs Para DI pre amp that I have been plugging into my SB Live through the line in and reacording my rythum on track 1(Sonar XL 2.0), and then playing my riffs on acoutic(same setup)on track 2. After mixdown this is coming out very exceptable for a start. I tried plugging in my Les Paul directly in my line in, and it's so distorted, no matter what I've done so far; that it's not worth keeping the track. I am looking at a Behringer eurotrack mixer(mx1604a) because it was suggested that I run things first into a mixer and then into my sound card. I know I will get a pro soung card after I'm sure I'm with it for the long haul, but can I make this thing work just to get started in this. I've also got a Shure SM 57 that I just got, and plan to use it ti record my amp with the Les Paul. Before I pulled the trigger on the Behringer mixer, I called and asked a few questions, and the guy told me that I couldn't plug the mixer into my sound card without a right and left RCA connection. Can this setup (mixer) be used with an adapter with my soundcard, just to use until I see that I'm in for the haul; or what do I need to get started with using the stuff that I already have? Thanks alot folks.
John Sr.

The Short Answer

Yes,
You can use the behringer mixer with adapters.
Having said that, If it were me ,having made it 9 years into the "studio-thing", I wouldn't spend the money on the Behringer mixer unless it was under $100.
There is a critical time at the beginning of your recording experiance where if things sound like crap you'll give up on it. I would suggest buying a single channel or stereo mic preamp for about 100 - 200 bucks that you would keep around well after you bought that 1500 mic pre just to use it on Bass guitar or Kazoo.

I bought an entry level Art Tube MP single channel pre (about $90) that while not stellar, would sound better than the pres in the behringer. I still use it to this day for a Bass guitar DI and it sounds great!
There are many single and stereo pres out there for under $250.Just do a search in the Rack forum.

Also a decent stereo sound card would only set you back about 200-250 bucks as well.

Good luck!

tmix

tmix,
you have helped me more with your answer than all the previous posts I've looked at. I'm 50 yeqrs old now, and to be quite honest ; I don't catch on to things at all like I did even 5 to 10 years ago. I guess all that stuff about old age is true. LOL. So if neccessary, I can hook the mixer(if I should get that) to my soundcard with adapter cables, just to get off the ground? Are there 2 plugs that come out of a mixer(L&R) to the line in on a soundcard? Would I get a 2 to 1 adapter plug? Can you help me answer this? I'm really not worried about giving up because of "not that perfect" sound as much as I am for lack of understanding how to grow in recording knowledge. I would like to get some kind of mixer hooked to my current card, and then go from there. Thank you again tmix.
John Sr.

Thanks!

John,
I feel your pain my brother! I'm 45 and although I'm trying to keep up with the technology, it just changes too fast.Plus chasing the technology is'nt fun for me,making and recording the music is what I wan't to do.

Anyway... to your question.
Most mixers are Stereo mixers... those with both a left and right output. Some have a mono out but we don't care at this point.
The trick is just matching connector types. Yor soundcard,if it is a typical consumer grade "soundblaster type" will only have a small 1/8" stereo line in jack (you would be lucky to have rca type).
Most mixers will have either 1/4" outputs or rca "button type" jacks(like on your home stereo) it is this fact you must determine first.

So what happens is you can go to your local Radio Shack or Electronics Super Center of choice and pick up an adapter cable with a single 1/8" stereo male plug on one end, and two 1/4" male (or rca male) on the other end (depending on what your mixer needs).
You would plug the cable into your line in (NOT the mic in) on your computer and the other end to your mixer's left / right out. That way when you plug any instrument or microphone into your mixer, if you want..say a vocal mic in track 1 and your guitar recorded into track 2 at the same time you would plug your mic into channel 1 on the mixer and pan the channel hard left / plug your guitar into channel 2 and pan it hard right, that way each channel will be discretely sent out individual outs of the mixer. If you wan't a "stereo track" say like a stereo miced piano you would just pan the channels to you liking and record into your computer as a true stereo track as opposed to 2 discrete tracks.

I hope I made sense to you and not confused you further.
Any other help feel free to shout!

tmix

tmix,
Believe it or not; I've been sitting in front of this computer all day watching for a post from you, and once again you've explained things where I'm capable of understanding. I have been looking at the Behringer mixers, as I mentioned before. 1 is the newer UB series that has this "invisable mic preamps" thing, and the others are just the Eurorack series. If you are familiar with these; will you make a suggestion for me(what you would do). I'm going to buy a mixer as soon as I hear what's best. My spending limit is 250, and maybe 300 for the mixer. I will then get the cables you suggested, and record a little more, and then follow more suggestions. Thank you again my friend.
John Sr.

Good Morning John!

Sorry for the delay,
Ugh... I'm tired. Late night in the Studio... Early to Job#1.

Give me a little time to look up the mixers and I'll let you know what you need.

Good talking to you.

tmix

What I found.

John,
It seems which ever mixer you go with you will need a cable or cable combo to go from (2) 1/4" mono male plugs to (1) 1/8" stereo male plug (assuming you have a regular run of the mill computer sound card)

The newer UB series seem to have better specs, but if you want to get by with the cheapest way a 4 channel eurorack can be picked up from Musicians friend ( www.musiciansfriend.com ) for about $80.00! That would leave you with some money for a decent mic or two!

Anyway, if you pickup the cheaper offerings you could chunk it later or use it for a live playing situation without being out much money.
Let me know what you end up doing.
You alway look me up here, or nab me direct at: tmix@bigfoot.com

John If you look in the forum free ads for recording equipment you can get a heck of a deal from fenderlikingood on the stuff you are looking for.. Its a great deal on stuff that would be good for you.

Tom

Last edited:
Back