Connecting studio monitors to interface?

Notebook.

Could I connect these studio monitors:

P1070837.jpg

to this interface:

7bbde8e06934e2a660e586659fb8bf99.jpg

and the interface goes to my laptop.

If so, what wires will I need and in which outputs\inputs would I put the wires in to make them work?

You will need some sort of an amp. You could use a home stereo amp or receiver, or get a power amp. If you hooked up the Lexicon directly to the speakers you would only barely be able to hear it. The amp boosts the signal.

You'd come out of the Lexicon 1/4" L and R Line out jacks into your power amp or receiver. Then you'd hook up your speakers to the amp. The type of cables depends on what you amp has as far as input and output connections.

I used one of those Lexicons and they sound great.

Hey Notebook:
Sometimes a word speaks a thousand pictures. DM's good but I doubt that he can guess what your picture is without doing a lot of research. Have a look at the Watts & Ohms on your speakers and amp to see if they match. You can buy a pair of powered "Starting Out" monitors for about $100 at your local music shop or go with the ones you've got (which are Passive) and pick up an amp to suit. This can be a powered PA mixer amp, a rack mounted studio amp or just a simple home stereo amp, depending on what your speakers are.
Hope this helps. :)

what kind of amp are you talking about?
like this?

183260.jpg

I'm not familiar with that one but if it looks like a stereo power amp and that would work fine. For a studio you're not going to blast it loud, so you don't need a huge amp. Here's some: http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/prodsearch?q=power+amplifier&button=&form=search

But truthfully for your needs I would try and find something like this:
Sony-TA343-1.jpg

at a Goodwill or from a friend for $10 -20. For home stereo amps, I've had my best luck with Sony, Yamaha and Harmon Kardon amps. The general rule is that if it's really heavy it's probably good and if it's light, unless it's modern and expensive, it probably sucks. Sony made some junk in the last 10 years that's light and isn't very good.

I'd try the thrift shops and Craigslist.

The amp I used is here: http://musicmusicmusic.cn/tubeamppg1.html
I love that thing and it's my last amp. I would buy that thing over anything else I know of, and I've used some pretty expensive Haflers and such in the studio. I would not buy a power amp from Hyundai or Kia (translation: Behringer or Alesis) just my opinion.

Hey!
I completely forgot.
I picked one of those up (similar) for free
about a year ago
and haven't even tried it out.

I have a Sony 40W per ch home stereo amp that a friend gave me, I use it to power headphones and it's worked great for years. I'm always on the lookout for heavy tankers at Goodwill stores.

I have a Harmon Kardon 430 home stereo amp I think I paid $15 for and it's a gem. It's got dual massive power transformers and when you open it it's got maybe 8 or so fuses. They sure don't make 'em like that anymore.

It's important to think of the power amp as a musical instrument like a violin. It affects the sound big time! So forget the specs - a shit violin has great specs so just go by your gut. You don't need to spend a lot.

what kind of amp are you talking about?
like this?

183260.jpg

I'm not familiar with that one but if it looks like a stereo power amp and that would work fine.

That's not a power amp. It's a Studio Projects VTB-1 Microphone Preamp.

You're going to need a power amp which accepts 1/4" TRS line level connections.

Though you could also buy powered monitors which you could plug straight into your interface using the line outputs.

A plain jane stereo receiver isn't going to work in this case unless you run TRS to RCA cables from the interface to the receiver.

Well, other than to say "No, you need a power amp" I have to say Sure, that's right.

Do you have something to power the speakers with?
Not that thing in the picture.

nah dude I don't, and it fucking pisses me off..
because I bought these speakers for a lot of money dude.
and I really need to get them working.

so, if I get TRS-to-RCA cables, I can actually get these speakers working without buying a power amp?

NO. You still need to power the speakers with something, you can't just hook the speakers straight into the interface.

TRS to RCA cables --> Receiver/Power Amp --> Speakers

Back