connecting outboard mic pre amps

BuildingStudios

I was in the proccess of looking at a TB6 Davisound pre amp when i noticed that the all the outputs are xlr...
Im trying to think of how i would input this signal into my recorder.

I use a mackie HDR 24/96 connected to a makie digital 8 bus... the inputs to the hdr are 8 channel lightpipe ... So i'll obviously have to send it through my board.

Should i use a XLR to 1/4 inch converter? Whould'nt that degrade the signal? Could i just input it directly into the mic pre amp input on my board? Would'nt that be double pre amplifing? Maybe not if i do'nt attenuate any gain on the board pre amp? I dont really know what the proper procedure would be??? help?

Also Im asumming that good cabling would be desireable... right now im just using cheap xlrs, but if im gonna spend a grand on a pre amp, i dont what the sould to be fucked up by crapy cabling. is this an issue?? Should i get a few mogami or canare cables to go to and from the new out board pre??

Thanks for the help ... sorry for the newbieness (is that a word?) of this question.

jrosenstein said:
going XLR to 1/4" TRS will not degrade your signal.

So i could simply go into line ins???

You see this is how i assumed outboard pres would out put... why are they made with xlr outputs then?? whats the purpose?? why not just 1/4 inch?

yup, just go into the line ins.

i don't exactly know why they wouldn't just use 1/4" outputs, but i would figure it's to prevent people from using unbalanced TS connectors. it's a balanced output.

you don't use an adapter. you just buy a cable that goes from xlr-1/4, extremely common i have a few.

First-off, XLR and 1/4" TRS are the same thing. They're BOTH balanced conections.

XLR = TRS

Pin 1 = Sleeve
Pin 2 = Tip
Pin 3 = Ring

As the others say, connect out of any outboard preamp into the d8b via the line inputs. Do this with Female XLR -to- Male 1/4" TRS cable.

As an alternative, I'd imagine you could request 1/4" TRS output connections on your TB-6 if you so desire.

As for cables, I recommend some Mogami W2534, W2549, Canare L-4E6S or for a "neutral" cable, some Belden 8402 or Gepco M1042 for microphone cables. For balanced line cable, I recommend the above microphone cables above for single cables and Mogami, Belden, or Gepco Snakes (again, go Belden or Gepco for "neutral" cable) for multi-channel connections. The model #s for 4-ch. snake is Mogami W2931, Belden 1510C, and Gepco GA61804GFC.

You can buy raw cable and connectors and solder them up yourself or pay the extra money in labor to have someone else.

DIY:
www.fullcompass.com
www.markertek.com
www.proaudiodesign.com
www.haveinc.com
www.aaacustomcables.com
www.btx.com
www.gepco.com

Have someone else deal with it:
www.hotwiredcables.com
www.haveinc.com
www.aaacustomcables.com
www.proaudiodesign.com
www.gepco.com

Recording Engineer said:
As for cables, I recommend some Mogami W2534, W2549, Canare L-4E6S or for a "neutral" cable, some Belden 8402 or Gepco M1042 for microphone cables. For balanced line cable, I recommend the above microphone cables above for single cables and Mogami, Belden, or Gepco Snakes (again, go Belden or Gepco for "neutral" cable) for multi-channel connections. The model #s for 4-ch. snake is Mogami W2931, Belden 1510C, and Gepco GA61804GFC.

[/B]

Thanks alot that is really helpful info... I think im probably gonna buy cable in bulk. I figgure i should learn how to make my own cable anyway. and its cheaper. But have a question.

you keep saying "neutral" cable. Can you expand on that a little bit more. Is this like saying "do i want a transparent mic pre or a colored one?" I never really thought cable would have that much of an effect.

Back