Connecting monitor speakers

davejohno

Can some please help me with information on optical outputs. I have a Creative 0404 USB interface and I just got some Behringer MS20 monitor speakers. I've never used optical audio outputs before and not sure how they work, can I just plug an optical cable from the optical out in the USB interface to the optical in on the speakers? or do I use the analog output?

Thanks

Can some please help me with information on optical outputs. I have a Creative 0404 USB interface and I just got some Behringer MS20 monitor speakers. I've never used optical audio outputs before and not sure how they work, can I just plug an optical cable from the optical out in the USB interface to the optical in on the speakers? or do I use the analog output?

I've been looking around for an image of the I/O section and can't find anything that works. Usually with S/PDIF inputs (I assume that's what you mean by "optical) you'll go from the S/PDIF out on the interface to the left monitor, then out of the left monitor and into the right monitor. You'd then assign your monitor outs to the S/PDIF L & R in your software. I've got my JBL's hooked up exactly that way (and analog).

Frank

Images of interface and speakers below. Like I said I've never used this before so forgive my ignorance. Can I just plug the cable from the optical out (Bottom right on the interface)
1041040.jpg

to the Optical in on the speaker and switch the speaker to optical?

MS20_P0274_Panel_XL.jpg

or the S/PDIF on the interface? I've read that manual and it doesn't really help me. I've fiddle with the output settings but still no sound.

Thanks

Taking a second look at your speaker, yup, you should be able to run an optical cable to your monitor from the 0404.

If you're using the Patchmix application, set your output to the spdif, also look under Options to be sure you have optical set, though i think it doesn't matter for outputs.

Attachments

• EMUPatchMixOuts.jpg
    EMUPatchMixOuts.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 53
Chili... judging by the 'To Left Speaker' output, I'm guessing these are the kind of speaker pair where one speaker contains the inputs and amps, and the other is just a passive version of the same speaker that runs off the amp in the first one. The optical cable between the interface and speakers should work fine.

Chili... judging by the 'To Left Speaker' output, I'm guessing these are the kind of speaker pair where one speaker contains the inputs and amps, and the other is just a passive version of the same speaker that runs off the amp in the first one. The optical cable between the interface and speakers should work fine.

Yeah, I was probably editing my post as you were typing. Thanks!!

OK I think I got it now. It's only for monitoring the input signal. If I want the playback to go through the optical output I have to loop it from the main outputs(1/4" plugs at back) to the input at the front. then I get the playback through the optical output.
Does that sound right?
If so is the any benefit in doing this? Is this main output not analog? if so should I just go straight from the main output to the analog input on the speakers?
Again excuse the ignorance.
Thanks

OK I think I got it now. It's only for monitoring the input signal. If I want the playback to go through the optical output I have to loop it from the main outputs(1/4" plugs at back) to the input at the front. then I get the playback through the optical output.
Does that sound right?
If so is the any benefit in doing this? Is this main output not analog? if so should I just go straight from the main output to the analog input on the speakers?
Again excuse the ignorance.
Thanks

Nope, that doesn't sound right. For sure the confusion is with the EMU software. It's not very intuitive and causes lots of confusion. you should be able to run an optical cable to your monitors and it should work. If it doesn't, you have to check the routing within the EMU Patchmix software. Screenshots might help.

I've got the EMU 0404 PCI and it took a long time to figure out how to set up the Patchmix program to get it to work. It's a pita.

Good luck.

Back