Connecting keyboard to Tascam DP008ex

Rayne

I need an answer to a very basic question and have trawled the site and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. So here goes:

I want to record my Yamaha keyboard (PSR EX230) directly into my Tascam DP008ex. So far I've been using the inbuilt condenser mic and it doesn't sound great.

The output jack on the back of the keyboard is PHONES/OUTPUT 1/4" which I assume is stereo. Can I use a guitar lead with a stereo adapter at the keyboard end and the mono end into either input A or B (standard unbalanced TS) on the Tascam using the line/mic setting?

Or is there a different cable that I need to buy. The Tascam manual doesn't make it clear and I would appreciate any help as I don't want to damage anything. Thanks

This should work....

Amazon.com: Hosa Cable STP203 TRS To Dual 1/4 Inch Insert Cable - 9.75 Foot: Musical Instruments (pick a length that works best)

TRS end to the keyboard stereo out. TS ends to the DP008EX inputs 1/2 or L/R.
Line setting on the DP008EX.
Pan the recorded tracks right and left on playback (maybe they are already by default(?))

Ok, so I guess what you are saying is use 2 tracks so that I don't lose the stereo. I think they will pan if I use the LINK feature but if not I can set this manually.

Thanks for that. I'll source a cable from Amazon. Out of interest, is this the only option or would the guitar lead have worked in mono?

You sure about the model number? I'm assuming it doesn't have line outs then?

Very few of these "portasound" keyboards seem to Arm'. I guess the format was cast in stone before the huge rise in home recording? Then, not being rude to the OP but this is a sub £100 keyboard and you can't have everything! I am quite surprised it has MIDI!

For those solder iron friendly, fitting a line out, pre VC is pretty simple. I did this to a very old Yamaha PSS 790 that I picked up as an uncollected repair for a nifty.

Dave.

No, it definitely has no line outs and yes it's only a cheap keyboard, it cost about £100 12 years ago, but will do me for home recording. But it does have midi. On the front of the manual it also refers to it as a Portatone YPT-200 as well as a PSR-E203. I don't think I'll be getting the soldering iron out any day soon. I had a look on Amazon uk and found the cable mentioned above for a fiver. That's me sorted. Thanks guys. :)

Back