Connecting desk with external converters

karambos2

I presently have a 2 in/ 2 out sound card from emagic and I am looking around for an upgrade. I need an 8 in 8 out card lwith an external AD/DA converter ike the MOTU mk2/3 or the Aardvarkq10 etc etc. - the reason being, I'd like to record drums with a track per mic. (as you can imagine, trying to record drums on just two tracks is hard work)

However, I'm trying to imagine just what I would need. I have a 16 track, analogue, mixing desk with 4 subgroups. How would I connect to a breakout box? Would you normally go via the subs or take a direct out from each individual tracks? How do people who have bigger desks than mine (i.e. 8 subs or more) do this?

I'd be grateful for any advice concerning just how to connect the desk with the external converters (or would you just go straight into the converters?) and particularly any recommendations for semi-pro quality sound cards (I'll probably buy it second hand so recommendations for cards that are no longer available or older models are also welcome)

PS - I need at least one digital in/out if anyone is thinking of suggesting a specific card

karambos2 said:
I presently have a 2 in/ 2 out sound card from emagic and I am looking around for an upgrade. I need an 8 in 8 out card lwith an external AD/DA converter ike the MOTU mk2/3 or the Aardvarkq10 etc etc. - the reason being, I'd like to record drums with a track per mic. (as you can imagine, trying to record drums on just two tracks is hard work)

PS - I need at least one digital in/out if anyone is thinking of suggesting a specific card

Dedicated converters of good grade are expensive and unnecessary for home recording.

Rather invest in good soundcard with outboard dock (Emu,Motu,Digi) and save that money you would
spend for converters for your production or mastering for pro location.

As for which one, this is really up to your decision on how much are you willing to spend.

You could do fine with Emu 1820m, or Motu if you are Mac user, and if you want more look for Digi.

Back