connecting computer / mixer

Doubledown

hey,
i am really new at the whole home recording deal and I am looking forward to getting more into it but first i need to figure out how to hook up my mixer to my computer.
My computer has a number of usb ports which a friend said would be an ideal place to hook it up. I have a Yorkville 800 PA that works for my band and it has a record out line that is just a Left and right audio output. I have friends that have cables that go from AV to USB and I was wondering where i could find one off these or if there is any better way to hook it up.
Thanks,
Richard

I've never heard of mixers that have USB ports on them...

Are you thinking that you can use an adapter to get analog audio signals into a UDB connector? No dice. That would be a little like trying to get water to flow through electrical wires. Your friend must have something else going on. To connect your mixer to your computer via USB, you would need a USB peripheral that takes analog audio inputs and converts them (through a process called analog-to-digtal conversion) into digital signals; it would also do the reverse (digital-to-analog conversion) to get the sound out from the computer and back into analog form for attaching to a amp or speakers so you could hear it.

any suggestions

thanks . do you have any suggestions on how i can hook the mixer with the audio output up to the computer?

Here's one, and it's not that expensive.

This is not however, the reccomended way to get audio into your computer.

Most around here (and me too!)would reccomend a good quality sound card, such as the Delta Audiophile 2496.:D

Whatta ya know! A digital mixer with a USB port!

I suspect this would have the same basic limitations as any of those other USB audio interfaces do (namely, bandwidth limitations)...

Back