connecting ART Tube MP to computer

HendoBurbs

I've been recording on a dynamic mic. that plugged directly into the computer, but i decided to step up the food chain and bought the MXL 990 and ART Tube MP preamp. How would i go about connecting the preamp to my computer.

You sir will need a interface!! What are you recording and what kind of budget you got? Can get some referrals around here.

Technically, you could run unbalanced out of the preamp into your sound card - But don't expect much in the way of quality...

Hendo, I'm just going to go out on a limb and offer a few suggestions since we don't have many details here. I'm guessing you're somewhat new to recording and also have a small-scale budget. Your best bet is to use a usb or firewire interface between the pre-amp and computer. These range in variety as far as price and inputs go. Unless you plan on starting out recording an entire band live, I'd recommend starting small and learning as you go. M-Audio, PreSonus, Line-6, Alesis, Tascam, among others have decent entry-level interfaces. I'd highly recommend narrowing down what you're looking for based on searches on all the popular music gear sites (mus-friend, mus-123, ams, swtwater, etc), then finalizing your decision based on looking for user reviews on search engines. Definitely look out for devices that come with freebies such as mics or software - there can be some real good deals out there.

Back