Connecting an Art Studio MP

Jerad

I've never used my Art Studio MP before, and I want to hook it up to a Zoom R8 recorder. I'm going to use it for an XLR microphone. For the input jack, I'll hook in the XLR mic cable. In the output jack, do I have to use the XLR jack or can I use the 1/4" jack? I don't know if using an XLR in and 1/4" is good, bad, or indifferent.

I've never used my Art Studio MP before, and I want to hook it up to a Zoom R8 recorder. I'm going to use it for an XLR microphone. For the input jack, I'll hook in the XLR mic cable. In the output jack, do I have to use the XLR jack or can I use the 1/4" jack? I don't know if using an XLR in and 1/4" is good, bad, or indifferent.

The spec for the R8 appears to give a maximum line (the one you want) input of a paltry +4dBu (well they use the achaic dB"m") . If this is indeed the max headroom it is pitifully inadequate for the Art since that chucks out a massive+28dBu!

Since the Art is a "tube" pre you will want to work it pretty hard to get the sound and so you might need an attenuator twixt Art and R8.
At its most basic this is just two resistors but you might also think about a pan pot?

Dave.

Indeed, but despite my best efforts I cannot see where it is in the signal chain. Shame on Art for no signal flow diagram, us geeks like such things!

Dave.
I'm with ya on flow diagrams. They cut to the chase for seeing how stuff works, what you can and can't do in some cases. Not such a biggie for something simple like this, but great for those sometime vague instructions you come across.

I have no idea what any of you are talking about... I just want to record music without much noise and at a listenable volume

I have no idea what any of you are talking about... I just want to record music without much noise and at a listenable volume

Well Jerad, I apologise...Little bit!

It is an unfortunate fact of life that sound recording is technical. Yes, you can buy one box, an old style cassette multitracker say, plug in a mic and make pretty technically ***t recordings. Gets a bit more involved when you hook an interface to a computer but when you want to connect two devices together that are of different brands and operate at very different levels things can go wrong in the sense of poor noise or distortion performance (tho' you are very unlikely ever to damage anything)

The output level of a device should match, within a few decibels or so the input sensitivity of the next device in the chain.
The signal level diagrams we mentioned are like the map of London underground. If you don't understand it you can get lost.

This is about as technical as it needs to get, signal levels where signals go but like tuning a guitar, there are some things you really should learn....In my HUMBLE opinion of course!

Dave.

Translated- set the recorder input to its lowest setting. That's where it is the least sensitive to what ever voltage the preamp will be sending to it.
Adjust the preamp as needed to keep the levels on the recorder well below 'clipping/red/ 0dBFS.
Start there.
Most of this stuff- almost anyone has to do some reading/searching/thinking, before it makes sense.

Back