Connecting a talk box

Shack

Hi, I have a Heil Talkbox which I want to use on a few tracks (for keyboards, not guitar). Anyone know if there is a way I can connect and record without using an amphead? Can I use a domestic amp for example, or a mixer? I am tempted to try but I have been warned that I could blow the Talbox or my amp. Basically I just wanted to know whether there were any studio recording techniques for a Talkbox that do not require the acquisition of an amp head? I have a little guitar amp but it has no speaker outs and I have a Tascam DM24 mixer, if that helps.

No, a Talkbox requires an amp.

The talkbox is nothing more than a midrange driver from a horn. It's speaker is focused into a tube, which is then used to echo, etc.. into a mic, which is then sent to the next process of the chain.

Now, the talkbox will handle 50 watts. Depending on your amp, we can easily modify it to output to the talkbox instead of the speaker that's inside your enclosure.

Also, we can look seriously at using the amp from a stereo unit, a car amp, etc.. 50 watt amps are easy to come by. And cheap. All we need is the ability to take a signal from a source, amplify it, and send it to a speaker.

Here's the tricky part. Put too much power into the driver (speaker), and you'll blow the diaphram. Do this, and it will cost $75 for a new one. Meaning, the effect soon becomes useless.

Back