Connecting a Digital Recording Module up to a computer

Middleman3

Hey there.
Im not exactly a neub, but I am relatively new to the whole DAW business.

Im trying to find out if I can use a computer with what I have already in order to get individual tracks to be a bit more flexible with me.

I came across a Boss BR-1180 digital recording module, and it is very versatile. However, It would be nice to get these individual tracks onto a computer, so I can get a better look and handle on them. I have Audacity, and have been bouncing finished songs onto that in order to get my songs on the computer, but other than that I've been sticking to the Boss. It has a midi & rca I\O. Visually, I have a 3" screen on the boss to work with, and I'd love to benefit from a computer and the boss working together.

What Im asking: is there any benefit to connecting a digital recording studio to a computer using RCA or MIDI?

There is benefit in connecting a digital recorder to a computer, but not via RCA cables or MIDI. You should be able to export / import files in WAV format onto your PC, via USB or (gasp) CD and there use a decent DAW (which ain't Audacity) to edit, mix, effect, master etc. You might find this easier on a computer screen with a decent program than on a smallish standalone unit.

But your stuff is in digital form on the Boss machine. Keep it that way. Taking audio from an RCA means you've converted to analogue and will have to reconvert to digital to use your PC on your tracks. You will degrade the signal almost certainly in this process and it's unnecessary. MIDI is a series of instructions and is not audio and not relevant to the question you've asked.

If you have MIDI data along with your recording, then you can use that in a PC easily enough, but I'm guessing you don't.

I can get wave data onto the pc, but yes I would have to use a CD-RW to transfer it. don't really need it that much.

Back