Confused on what I need.

lyricist

Please help mee!! :p

All I want to do is record vocals, live keys, and use my keyboard as a midi controller as well.

Now-

I got a presonus inspire today. I am on zzounds.com right now with a SPB1 in my cart.

What do I need?

The inspire came with a firewire cord but see my computer has a MINI firewire port so i take it first of all I need something that will hook into my computer (dont think they sell mini firewire cords on zzounds)

second of all..the SPB1- does that come with a mic cable or do I need to purchase one?

What other cords do i need? I dont want to make the order then have to put in a new order cause "i forgot something"

So a mic cable for sure i guess.. A mic stand, pop filter.. Any other cords?

Now for my keyboard situation- On the inspire manuel it shows the keyboard being connected into the back of the inspire (keep in mind the inspire lacks midi ports)..what is the purpose of the keyboard being connected to the inspire??? Does it have something to do with sound? If i plan on recording keys do i need it to be connected into the inspire?? if so, what cord do i need?

I also do want to use my keyboard as a midi controller but the inspire doesnt have midi ports.. My keyboard has midi in/out ports on it..could i purchase this and use it?

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--MDOUNO

My keyboard also has a usb port that hooks into my computer but im not sure what that is for..

:confused: :confused:

Please someone help me out, i'm lost. :o

You COULD use a USB MIDI interface, but some MIDI controllers have a USB jack anyway, so you may be able to go direct.

I am guessing the picture you are talking about may be a keyboard with a line out, OR they just decided to use a keyboard graphic.

I confess I'm not sure what an SPB1 is, but I'm thinking yes you would need a mic cable, firewire (unless the Inspire comes with one). The rest depends how your keyboard connects.

I know M-Audio makes a MIDI interface for like a 100 bucks.

You can plug the AUDIO outputs of your keyboard into the Inspire. Do you know the difference between AUDIO and MIDI? If you want to use your Keyboard to record MIDI signals onto your PC, you need a MIDI interface , or the USB on your keyboard might allow you to do this? If you are not sure what the USB port is for, have you looked it up in the manual?

Have you looked into purchasing a beginner's book on audio recording/production? This will help explain alot of the basics.

Most microphones do not come with a cable, so make sure you purchase a mic cable with XLR plugs on both ends.

As for the Firewire cable, any electronics shop (Radio Shack, Best Buy, CompUSA) should have the correct cable you need.

I know what midi is.. I used to use it all of the time with crappy FLstudio

i know what im used to. i have no clue if there is different ways to do it.

which is why i didnt know why they showed a keyboard going into the inspire. im guessing that WAS "audio" but i dont know what is the purpose of that.

I looked for a recording book the other day and couldn't find one.

"You can plug the AUDIO outputs of your keyboard into the Inspire"

The purpose of this is..??

Is that to record my keyboard sounds directly?

Back