Confused, maybe you can help me.

JohnnyAngel77

I recently purchased the Backiline 210 bass amp. It says its 200 watts. If you plug in a cab, its 300 watts. I assumed that meant, you could just plug a cabinet into it in addition to the 2 10" speakers.

When reading the manual, it says, "DO NOT use an external speaker cabinet with the Backline 210 internal speakers plugged in."

So, that means I can either use the 2 10" speakers that come in it or, I can unplug them and only use an external cabinet?

Hope my question is clear and please forgive my noobness.

Johnny

Gallien Kruger? I have a Backline 250 head with a 1 x 15" 200w cabinet. The issue for you is the ohms of resistance that the speaker configuration presents to the amplifier. The little Backlines are designed to use a speaker configuration of a total 8 ohms. It's internal speakers will be 8 ohms resistance in total already. That means that if your speaker configuration is 8 ohms already and you add another 8 ohm extension box, it will end up at 4 ohms total resistance (8 / 2) and the amplifier will not be happy about that and possibly be damaged.

So, as they say, either it's internal speakers OR an external 8 ohm speaker cabinet but NOT both.

I hope that's clear.

Cheers

Not sure where you got 'no additional speakers', I found this-

For Backline 600 and Backline 210 :
300W power output. It delivers 300 watts into 4 ohms,
180 watts into 8 ohms.
Lower impedances should not be used such as 2 ohms
and below. Higher impedances such as 16 Ohms or No
Load are acceptable. No damage will result from
operating the amplifier with the speakers disconnected.
Note:
The Backline 210 and 115 internal speakers are
running at 8 ohm load. DO NOT use an external
speaker cabinet with impedance lower than 8 ohm with
the internal speakers connected

Not sure where you got 'no additional speakers', I found this-

For Backline 600 and Backline 210 :
300W power output. It delivers 300 watts into 4 ohms,
180 watts into 8 ohms.
Lower impedances should not be used such as 2 ohms
and below. Higher impedances such as 16 Ohms or No
Load are acceptable. No damage will result from
operating the amplifier with the speakers disconnected.
Note:
The Backline 210 and 115 internal speakers are
running at 8 ohm load. DO NOT use an external
speaker cabinet with impedance lower than 8 ohm with
the internal speakers connected

I read that from the manual I downloaded online for it. So, according to what you said, does that mean I can or can't use an external cab with the internal speakers plugged in?

I have played music for years but never took the time to figure out what all the technical stuff means. :o

Based on that then, you should be able to add another 8ohm speaker as well that will lower the overall resistance to 4 ohms and therefore draw 300w from the amplifier.

Back