Confused about my new m-audio 2496

I purchased this card after recommendations here but now I've received it I'm a little confused.

The card does not have a standard Audio Out like my previous card that I can use to connect to my PC speakers for playing games etc. How do I connect this card to standard PC speakers - do I need an RCA - 1/8 stereo connector or something like that ??

Thanks for helping an idiot out.

I assume I have to uninstall my old card before running this one and that I can't use both at the same time ?

Tony

You do not usually have to uninstall your old card. You can still use it for games and stanard PC audio stuff, and use your AP 2496 for recording.

Regarding you connections, you have to keep in mind once you get into recording with quality gear, 99.9% of the connection with either be, XLR, 1/4" unbalanced (mono type plug), 1/4" balanced (stereo type plug) or RCA.

BTW, you will not likely hear the difference your AP 2496 makes until you get studio monitors. Through PC speakers (even decent ones) everything sounds equally crappified.

HomeMadeHitShow said:
I purchased this card after recommendations here but now I've received it I'm a little confused.

The card does not have a standard Audio Out like my previous card that I can use to connect to my PC speakers for playing games etc. How do I connect this card to standard PC speakers - do I need an RCA - 1/8 stereo connector or something like that ??

Yes the adapters will work.

Thanks for helping an idiot out.

I assume I have to uninstall my old card before running this one and that I can't use both at the same time ?

both cards can live together in the same machine but you wont be able to use them at the same time, I would remove the stock card!
Tony

I run my outs to my mixer (I have two 24/96's) and then I use the control room outs for my monitors

My reason for buying the card is all about Soft Synths - I record with a stand alone unit. Too much latency with my current system

It seems that if I use my existing card I would have to disconnect/reconnect every time I do music - this is OK actually but it still doesn't answer the question of how to attach the card to my headphones or speakers to monitor my MIDI recording ?

Thanks

Tony

Back