confused about keyboard categories

suzylux

basically, i want to get a good starter synth, but there always seems to be two categories when i go to look at some.
'professional' or 'portable'. or thereabouts. what is the difference between the two?
i want to record on an 8-track and be able to plug into my pc with it. are there any essential features that a portable keyboard doesn't have?

Categories, schmategories. Get what you like. Categories are pointless. Never heard of a "portable" category for synthesizers either...

There are few synthesizers that you can plug into the PC except via MIDI, and most Synthesizers will have MIDI, so no problems there.

I'm not positive about this...but I think what you might be talking about when you say "portable" is a big plastic casio keyboard with speakers which aren't really synthesizers at all. they might have midi, but they're pretty much overgrown toys.

a general rule of thumb (although I know it has exceptions) is it's not a serious keyboard unless it doesn't have built-in speakers! :P

if you want a good cheap starter synth, I'd sugjesting buying something outdated and second hand..

I don't know much about keyboards, but I've gleened that the alesis 6.1 (which I saw one up on ebay for a buy it now of 350 yesterday) and the yamaha DX7 are both good keyboards for the money.

everything I know about synths basically comes from www.vintagesynth.com and my very limited experiance with keyboards.

haha
you vintage-whore snobs :P

don't you ever go to zzounds.com or musiciansfriend.com?
they both have two distinct categories for keyboards. ('personal' being exchanged for 'portable' on zzounds)

i know what you mean tho.
and i kind of guessed as much. just wanted to see what you'd say. and you said sort of what i expected ;)

i'll figure it out then. it's what you do with an instrument anyway that counts xo
'brittle stars' used a casio MT 240 for alot of their tracks and they record some wondrous stuff. so.

anyway, thanks for trying to help out. haha.

suzylux said:
haha

don't you ever go to zzounds.com or musiciansfriend.com?
they both have two distinct categories for keyboards. ('personal' being exchanged for 'portable' on zzounds)

i know what you mean tho.
and i kind of guessed as much. just wanted to see what you'd say. and you said sort of what i expected ;)

i'll figure it out then. it's what you do with an instrument anyway that counts xo
'brittle stars' used a casio MT 240 for alot of their tracks and they record some wondrous stuff. so.

anyway, thanks for trying to help out. haha.
That's about the finest display of ignorance proliferating useless sales terms I've ever heard.
Who cares what zzounds or mf call their catagories?
And fyi, musicians friend lists 2 categories for "synths",; synthesisers and workstations. Portables are only listed in the "Piano" category....
Kinda makes since soesn't it? ANY synth is portable, but only some "PIANOS" are portable.
As far as synths go.... All mine are personal.

And what kind of follow up reply is that anyway?

Why don't you spend some time reading rather than wasting our time with stupid useless questions that have no bearing, direction or even a sincere request for our valuable knowledge?
I'm sure that's just what you expected...:rolleyes:

Go read and then come back when you are capable of making a credible question without your stupid attitude, after people sincerely try to answer your vague ass stupid question...

Or don't.

And BTW...
haha
What the hell do "Old whores" have do do with anything?!?
And if someone is a "vintage whore" Or even someone that has an affinity for "vintage whores", it is highly unlikey that they would be "snobs"!

Normally "vintage whores" and "snobs" are found on opposite ends of whatever fucked up scale they share space on.;)

well then.

why don't you make a post about how you feel subtractor? :P

look mate. i did have a serious question. i admit those terms are lame. maybe i could have worded it better, i just wasn't sure exactly how to say what i meant. but instead of just letting that go and trying to help me out, you've decided to act like a gigantic prat.

also can't you tell my response was completely tongue in cheek? get a sense of humour for reals.

ps. being snobby can be equated with any old label in the world. it is not just synonomous with polo, cups of tea and royalty. nope. if you only dig on vintage stuff and completely suss it out for that reason alone and then proceed to act haughtily towards others and anything that isn't vintage, you are a vintage-whore snob. kthx.

Suzy & Subtractor -- you two guys crack me up! Are you married and try to spice-up your love life by being nasty to each other on this cyber channel??? :D

ahh, I love the "crickets" response...I sometimes wish I could carry around a little device that would make a crickets sound effect when I need it to. Maybe I should invent it! Yeah that's the ticket...

Back