Confused about interface hardware/software

vollyguy11

I recently bought a m-audio firewire 410 and a midisport usb 2x4. When recording music, can i use any program (cakewalk, cubase...) or do i have to use the m audio program, and do i need a pci sound card in addition to the firewire device and if so can it be any brand or does it need to be m-audio. What specs shoudl i make sure it has if in fact i do need a sound card. thank you so much

vollyguy11 said:
I recently bought a m-audio firewire 410 and a midisport usb 2x4. When recording music, can i use any program (cakewalk, cubase...) or do i have to use the m audio program, and do i need a pci sound card in addition to the firewire device and if so can it be any brand or does it need to be m-audio. What specs shoudl i make sure it has if in fact i do need a sound card. thank you so much
I've never used the m-audio firewire nor the usb you are mentioning.
However, my questions to you are the following:

1. Does you computer recognize each one?

2. After your computer recognize it, is there an input in Cakewalk, Cubase.... for the USB or firewire you bought?

My guess is that the answer to #1 will be yes (unless you are running Windows NT in which case upgrade to 2000, XP or return the firewire and USB). If that is the case, and the software you have or mentioned does not give you the option to record from this device, then look in the box in which the USB and firewire came in and see if there is some software you may need to install.
My guess is that both items will allow you to record to Cubase or Cakewalk, however you have to do a little poking and prodding on your own to find out for sure.
If you need help to find out if the computer recognized the USB or the firewire, just ask. If you need help with Cubase or Cakewalk then ask in those forums. They'll know!

You can use any program to record off those interfaces.

You don't need a pci card when recording via usb or firewire

Back