condensor mics

ThePhoenix

Check this, this. which do you think it a better deal? I heard audio technica had pretty good condensor mics.

I need one for everything, vocals, guitar, drums etc. Are either of those good for all around recording? is there another i should check out?

I'm also getting started, but the AT line of mics are well spoken of by many here, as are the Studio Projects (by some more than others), in addition to the MXL mics at entry-level pricing.
There are many opinions about what works best for which applications....

The search feature on this BBS is a great resource also for info and links to other helpful sites - I've learned what little I know just from reading the opinions of others here. There are always big threads or stickies or searches that I can go to for reference, and sometimes I'm lucky enough to hear what I need directly from another member when things here are live.

The commonest advice I've heard is .... do your homework, then listen.

Best of Luck!

get the mxl...i swear you'll be really happy with them. Mxl mics sound really nice definetely worth the small amount of money.. they compare to much more expensive mics.

The two most often suggested "budget" condensors are the Marshall v67G and the Studio Projects B1.

Start with those. However, I'd stray from using only one microphone for "everything", especially it being a large diaphram condensor. Mic choices are dependant on the type of sound source, and the desired sound. Budget is a big factor.

Miking guitar amps (assuming that's what you meant by "guitar") is traditionally done with a dynamic microphone (i.e, Shure SM57) to capture the "meat" of electric guitar tones. But it's not uncommon, especially with pop and blues artists, to stick a condensor 12 inches from the amp mesh, and let that be the sole microphone for guitar tracking.

Acquiring your desired sound requires experimentation with microphones, mic positioning, and pre-amp selection. Most of the time, just one microphone won't cut it. Each microphone accentuates varying frequencies differently, and converts sound into electricity differently, and so different microphones do not sound the same. That's why recording engineers purchase more than one for their studios.

With everything, see if you can "try it" before you buy it. Search the board for suggestions on micing particular sound sources, and achieving desired tonal variations.

A decent mic purchasing guide can be found here: http://hr-faq.org/

Good luck.

the only two ldc mics i've used are the mxl 990 and the SP C1. Obviously, the C1 is the better mic (it costs over twice as much), but the mxl was virtually worthless to me. alot of people raved about how good it sounded for how cheap it was, but i honestly couldn't find any use for it. Extremely brittle high end on vocals, decent as a drum o/h, but i would never buy one (the one i used was borrowed)

get a sm57 (i know its not a condensor) and a at2020...they are decent and cheaper together than a lot of condensors are for a single

Back