Condensor Mic Rec for tenor male voice?

pint07

Oh hello
Right now I'm running into a Behringer B1 condensor and I'm just not getting what I want.

Any mid-end condensor mic recommendations? I would like a richer warmer sound with good response, ect ect.

I've got anywhere from $100-750 or so to spend. I'll probably ebay it anyways.

The CAD M9 suits my voice very well---significantly better than the Chinese tube condensers. That said, your opinion and mileage may vary.

I like the Oktava MK-319, modded in some way (Marik or Oktavamod do a great job - I've had luck with lesser mods I did myself), and they're at the bottom of your range - the mod cost would push them to the middle (unless you do minimal stuff yourself and like it)

AT-4040 is nice (and I hear the 4050 is nicer) - middle of the range

My favorite is a Group Buy ACM-6802T extensively modded by Marik (Peluso capsule and TAB-Funkenwerk transformer) - top of the range after the mods (bottom before the mods, and it was OK then, too)

There are many other good options, I'm sure

You might look into the Kel mics. They have a 'no strings' return policy. I like the HM2D a lot...big improvement over other mics I had used previously. Great mic for the style of music I do which is mostly laid back rock. I like the samples I've heard of the HM7U a lot too.

Out of the various LDC's I've tried, in addition to the T3, also the Studio Projects CS series.

James Lugo (Gearslutz moderator), who has a VERY fine tenor voice liked the CS too FWIW.
IIRC the current vocalist for Santana swears by the T3.

Chris

You might look into the Kel mics. They have a 'no strings' return policy. I like the HM2D a lot...big improvement over other mics I had used previously. Great mic for the style of music I do which is mostly laid back rock. I like the samples I've heard of the HM7U a lot too.

I'll second this response, I'm finding the HM2-d just works well on a variety of voices both male and female. I've been through quite a few low end condensers and the Kels just seem like a cut above.

I'll second this response, I'm finding the HM2-d just works well on a variety of voices both male and female. I've been through quite a few low end condensers and the Kels just seem like a cut above.

Good to know that mic works on a lot of different voices. I've also tried quite a few mics over the last couple of years, and with a bit of eq I could get all of them to sound fairly similar to each other... but there is no way you could ever eq any of them to sound as good as that HM2d. It flatters in a way none of the others ever did.

Alright, so I think I'm going to choose between:

Studio Projects T3

Studio Projects CS5
&
Kel HM2-D

So could anybody tell me which of these would be best? With reasons and such?

Also, if anybody knows of someone who would want to sell one of these used, I would most definitely be interested. I'm a huge used gear fanboy.

Back