Condenser with a ssssssssss noise

Contijo

Hi there!
I have this AKG P420 and it has a ssssss noise that is driving me crazy.
It's not ambience sound because when the captation level is in 50% or when it is 0% the noise proceeds the same. Just when the level is 80% up that a notice some diference but i think that it is ambience interfering.
The noise appears only if the condenser is conected on the interface and the phantom power is on(those are the inexorable conditions: for exemple; if i disconect the cable from the condenser the noise will stop sounding imediatly, even if i let the phanton power on. My dynamics mics doesn't have this kind of treble.
I dont think is humidity because when it was BRAND NEW it still had the exact same noise.
So here is a short sample: first set the captation level 50%, then 100% and finally 0% (please use your headphones so you dont think i'm nuts)

https://we.tl/ezmyfd9tFZ

I had to whack the gain up quite a bit to hear the first and last sections, but I'm not sure what I was listening to? a footstep, and some very distant noises? To be honest if I set up any of my condensers and record room ambience, they hiss. Some self-noise in the preamps in the mic, plus more noise from my pre-amp. It's signal to noise we need to hear. There seemed to be no signal, or just a very quiet one. With a condenser in a quiet room - what you recorded isn't bad - but we really can't tell how bad it is without somebody producing a near full scale sound and then the silence, so we can assess the range? Your dynamic has no hiss from it's own preamps, just your external one. It;s also less sensitive, so again - we cannot judge.

Anybody else have this mic? If you noticed it when you got it why didn't you send it back? Or was it a used purchase? If it was used we probably know why it was sold.

Back