condenser:the next step

rankmanugly

hi microphone knowledge gurus.
im about to purchase my first condenser, and as im a uni student, have a budget limited to around $200US. i know this wont get me anything special, but im just after a entry level condenser to get the job done.

there seems to be so many to choose from around that price range, and im sure some are ok some crap and some really crap.

it would be great if i could get some recommendations of some good buys at this price. im looking at using it for many purposes-drums,vox,acoustic guitar.

thanks heaps

If you search

You'll find that most want more info on what you've had experience with already, what you're recording onto, and how you're recording...Not to mention what you're actually recording...Are you wanting an Large Diaphram Condesor (LDC)? a Small DC?

I've found that good LDC's I have experience in your price range are the Studio Projects B1 or C1, the Rode NT1a (don't get the NT1...make sure it's an NT1a), and the Audio Technica 4033 or 4040 (used they're a little more than 200), and oktava MK-319.

Great SDC's include the MXL 603s (pair with shocks for 200), the Oktava MK012 (make sure it's russian...).

these are just the mics I have experience with...it's not an exhaustive list...

If you wanna double the price look at the Rode NTK...I like it, and I'm thinking it'll be my next mic

jacob

i dont even know if i should be getting a large or small diaphram.....

ill be recording into a tascam FW1082 onto my laptop.
ill be recording drums,vox and acoustic guitar, maybe even my amp (but i think my SM57 should be used for that??)

i guess a bit of googling and reading reviews. theyre all so subjective though, it seems a bit of a gamble the first condenser purchase, ive read heaps of posts of people saying "this was good that was bad"

thanks for your help jkokora, gives me some things to look at

for what you're looking to do many mics fit the bill...

For VOX you're looking for an LDC

Acoustic Guitar uses both LDCs or SDC's in vaious combos (sometimes two of one type or the other, sometimes combos of both)

Bass guitar...a DI will probably work best for you

drums uses a combo of Condesors and Dynamic mics...I suggest looking into a decent dynamic Kick Mic (AKG D112, Shure Beta 52, Sennheiser MD421), your 57 is perfect for snare, and a good pair of the same Condensor mic work great as overheads...that should be enough for you to get a good Drum mix on a basic budget

As for amps...My policy is usually as many mics as possible...because then you can add or subtract them for the right mix...I generally use a SM57 and a sennheiser e609silver right next to the speaker and a couple different SDC's and LDC's at various distances from the speaker...Other good close mics will include th MD421, and a ribbon mic like the Royer 121 (I don't have them...but I want them)

You're gonna need to figure out which you want in the long run...and then form a plan to get them in the order they'll be most useful...

Hope that helps...feel free to email me for more help (though there's many who know more than me around here...eg:Harvey...take a look at his mic sticky...it's taught me a lot...

Jacob

Back