Condenser Mics - Differences

seansigep

I'm a little confused. I have a condesnser mic (CAD 195) that uses phantom power, but looks like a regular micropone (as in, live vocal mics).

I was looking at other mics (because im not happy with the results of vocal tracking) and most vocal condesor mics have a huge front, a crazy shock mount, etc.

Whats the difference? Should I spend money on one of those crazy shockmount nasties, or will it be similar to my CAD 195?

Thanks for not flaming!

The Cad 195 is a front adressed mic, like the well known SM58, the other mics you mention are side adressed mics, most LDC (Large Diaphragm Condenser).

There are lots of LDC's and they all sound different, what kind of sound do you want? What kind of voice do you have? Is there a reference which you can point to?

you can check my soundclick page for some of my vocals.

I want to have more warmth in them, because as of now, they are pretty cold.

www.soundclick.com/seanscogin

I Try and Stuck with MTV are good examples. Pulidos is too, as far as a different kind of genre is concerned.

I listened to I Try and thought that the vox and guitar are in the same registers pitch-wise. Try making a copy of your lead vox and then adding a bit more than usual reverb and bump the bass/lower midrange eq to one copy only. Pan them down the center and pan your rhthym guitars left and right (10 oclock-2 oclock). Without knowing more that's where I would start. jmho Good luck. I like the song. ;)

Back