• SHURE KSM 32SL

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • RODE NTK

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • BLUE BABY BOTTLE

Votes: 8 28.6%

• Total voters

grimy paco

What $500.00 microphone do you prefer to use for vocals?

(a) STUDIO PROJECTS T-3
(b) SHURE KSM 32SL
(c) RODE NTK
(d) BLUE BABY BOTTLE

I'm tracking a goodly chunk of the current project on NTK, so I voted for it. I've never heard T-3 but i'd like to. Baby Bottle, IMHO, is a better instrument mic than a vocal mic. Never heard the Shure. BTW, T-3 is more like $650, isn't it? That would make me think of Dragonfly or TLM103.-Richie

I don't own 'all' of those mic's, nor have I ever used 'all' of those mic's before... therefore I don't feel I'm qualified to participate in such a poll.

Of the mics mentioned,I only own the T-3, which I like very much. Out of the list I would probably pick the NTK as another choice for vocals because I have heard a bunch of music made with it and liked the vocals.

Thanks for the many responses it helps knowing other opinions.
I have the STUDIO PROJECTS C3 it works great. I will be buying another new mic next month I like using multiple mics on my recording every mics adds a little something different to each song so not all recordings sound the same.
If I stick with STUDIO PROJECTS I will never know if another brand works better but on the other hand if it ain't broke don't try and fix it.This is my delema if the C3 works great imagine a TUBE model (T3) it only goes for $499.00 but I should not say where it wouldn't be right to all the other online music stores.
I have used AT I think it was the 4060 a a buddies house he spent much more on the mic and it wasn't much better than what I got so I didn't mention AT IN MY POLL.I wasooking at the BLUE BABY BOTTLE JUST TO THROW IN A 4th mic the DRAGONFLY is a little more than what I wanted to spend.I am leaning toward the RODE NTK just for the fact I am reading alot of good things about it. I mentioned SHURE at the closest dollar figure that compares to what I am willing to spend when you say SHURE I never hear any bad results from the cheaper SM57 and on so I just wanted to hear some feedback on that one.
THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO it helps and will take it all into consideration when I buy the next one.JUST CURIOS any feedback on the AMT S15G or S3G FOR MY ACOUSTICS??? i WILL BE GETTING ONE OF THEM ALSO NEXT MONTH

Here's another contender, the Oktava MC012 preamp body with the M1 LOMO head. Many people, including Harvey Gerst, think this is mic contends with world class mics costing much, much more.

http://www.oktava.com/ click on the M1/M3 link to view the LOMO head.

MC012-PA PREAMP body for the MC012 ............... $ 129
M1-HDO M1(LOMO) Head for Oktava MC012 .............. $ 379

Total = $510

Another bonus is that you can buy additional SD heads (omni, cardioid, etc.) for only $64 each, which makes it a very versatile setup.

And it is VERY cool looking,

grimy, we have all those mics on your list here.

I'd look at getting more than just one mic for $500.

SP B1 - neutral, versatile $79
MXL V67 - more color than SP C series. $99

You still have $300 left

MXL V69ME - warmest budget tube mic we've used. $299

SE Electronics SE3600 - great realistic-sounding mic $249

Red5 Audio RV8 - $200 from UK - silky, neutral mic

Any of these mics sounds as good as any $500 mic on the market.

Dan Richards
Digital Pro Sound
The Listening Sessions

Of the mics listed I "only" have the T3. It's my first choice for vocals. Of course, lately I've had my eye on the Oktava/M1 arrangement mentioned by tdukex, regardless... I've only heard the T3, all I can say is :)

tdukex said:
Here's another contender, the Oktava MC012 preamp body with the M1 LOMO head. Many people, including Harvey Gerst, think this is mic contends with world class mics costing much, much more.

http://www.oktava.com/ click on the M1/M3 link to view the LOMO head.

MC012-PA PREAMP body for the MC012 ............... $ 129
M1-HDO M1(LOMO) Head for Oktava MC012 .............. $ 379

Total = $510

Another bonus is that you can buy additional SD heads (omni, cardioid, etc.) for only $64 each, which makes it a very versatile setup.

And it is VERY cool looking,

The LOMO head for the MC012 is a very nice match. I haven't recorded vocals with the setup, yet... but I have done some live stereo recordings with a pair of them that have come out very nicely.

I also have the NTK, and like it as well. :D

DJL said:
I don't own 'all' of those mic's, nor have I ever used 'all' of those mic's before... therefore I don't feel I'm qualified to participate in such a poll.

But DJL does feel qualified enough to pad his post count...

and so do I :D

Chrisjob said:
But DJL does feel qualified enough to pad his post count...

and so do I :D
Actually, I was pointing out why I didn't participate in the Poll. I'd like to see the Poll's reflect reality better. Had I'd been qualified to participate in the Poll, I would have done so. :)

Back