Condenser Microphone Refractor Shield !!! ... for me to poop on.

?

• Sure, why not? Comb filtering is like a combover for audio, right?

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • No way.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. For me to poop on too.

Votes: 15 83.3%

• Total voters

tarnationsauce2

Welcome to the jungle.
I just found this interesting eBay auction. It gave me a chuckle.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Condenser-Micro...466QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160097006373
Condenser Microphone Refractor Shield !!!
BEST THING EVER INVENTED FOR RECORDING

Condenser Microphone SHIELD (DOES NOT INCLUDE MIC OR STAND) I CANT START TO SAY HOW GREAT THESE SIMPLE THINGS ARE. BUT I WILL EXPLAIN BEST I CAN.

1.BEST THING !! THE SINGER CAN HEAR !!!!! PERFECTLY !! EVERY CENT OF DEGREE OF PITCH !!

BY PULLING OFF ONE SIDE OF YOUR HEADPHONES, AND PUTTING IT BEHIND ONE EAR U CAN HEAR YOUR NATURAL VOICE !!

2. IT ISOLATES FROM DAW CLICKS AND ROOM NOSE FROM BEHIND THE MIC

3. IT REFRACTS SOUND THAT GOES "PAST" THE CONDENSOR BACK INTO THE MIC !!!AND BACK TO YOUR EARS!! WE WORKED MANY HOURS COMING UP WITH JUST THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF BEND AN ANGLE TO MAKE IT WORK.

4. ITS A MUST FOR LOW VOLUME INSTRUMENTS ! WATE TELL YOU HEAR A SMALL BODY GUITAR IN IT !

Attachments

• 4707_1.JPG
    4707_1.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 265
Ad should read:

"I worked so hard on this and it sounds so great that I just had to sell it. It makes my mic sound so good, I don't want it anymore."

Can you say "1KHz comb filter?" The frequency response plot and sequence of nulls is left as an exercise for the reader...

Statistically diffuse, coherent reflections within a 5 ms window of the signal work great to create a live yet dry sound (a la Quick Sound Field), but with no venting and no diffusion, this thing just creates a classic comb filter. Eek!

Cheers,

Otto

ofajen said:
Can you say "1KHz comb filter?" The frequency response plot and sequence of nulls is left as an exercise for the reader...

Statistically diffuse, coherent reflections within a 5 ms window of the signal work great to create a live yet dry sound (a la Quick Sound Field), but with no venting and no diffusion, this thing just creates a classic comb filter. Eek!

Cheers,

Otto

yeah, what he said.

Warhead said:
Did you go back through his history?

He is selling them, and getting positive feedback.

War

I'm not surprised. Lots of folks are used to the sound of comb filtering. After all, lots of monitors sit right on consoles and reflect off of all sorts of flat surfaces arranged around the monitoring location.

Cheers,

Otto

Warhead said:
Did you go back through his history?

He is selling them, and getting positive feedback.

War

Or perhaps the comb filtering sounds better than the ambient sound of the room without it around the mike?

Cheers,

Otto

Heh, maybe this could be good for compensating bad monitoring,
now I get it! Cheaper than minitraps!
Just carefully adjust -as he describes- for the nulls
of the control room.

Matti :D

Would this work if I bought it and lined it with soundproof foam instead?

Since I record in my basement, the environment is horrible for vocals, but would that happen to give the vocals more presence and come out better?

I was trying to make something like that on my own, but didnt work out.

This is what is BEHIND the thing! The front photo does not show all the features.

A GREAT value! All included in 50 shipping crates. I had no idea when i ordered it.

Attachments

• studio2_pic2.jpeg
    studio2_pic2.jpeg
    11.6 KB · Views: 99
This just gave me my next money making idea. It will be a product for mixing. It will be similar to the rafractor shield but will be much smaller and hooks over your ears so it points forward a little. That way every sound that gets near you will just funnel right on in to your ear drums. Then if I can just invent a magnet that attracts sound waves I can add that and you will really be able to hear everything.

It will be like monitors. Just the Ear Cups alone will be the passive version, and the active version will be with the magnets. The magnets of course will be perfectly tuned for the ear cups!

that person wasted money putting it up on ebay. no one is going to buy it.

Wrong, unfortunately. 12 bids, someone paid $52+shipping for it. Yet in true Ebay alternate universe style, the seller has another copy for a Buy it Now of $39.50. So he probably had the same offer on this one but the bidding went over Buy it Now.

Shocking.

PT Barnum would still thrive today, possibly more than ever.

Back