Condenser mic reccommendation

gtar02

I'm looking in to buying a pair of condenser mics. These will be my first condensers for my home studio. I'm looking for some that would be good for all around use- overheads for drums, acoustic guitars, etc..., and that are reasonably priced.
Any recommendations
Thanks

It depends what you consider reasonable. I got a lot of milage out of a pair of AudioTechnica 4050s before I started buying Brauner, Soundelux, DPA, Royer, AEA etc. They are multi-pattern LDs and a pair should cost no more than $1200 brand new. If you shop around, you can find them for a little less, and there are probably quite a few used ones available for a few hundred each. These are mics you'll never outgrow. I still use mine on a track or 2 of almost every project, even though I've got almost 60 mics, many costing 5 to 10 times as much.

Scott

Audio Technica Pro 37s. They go for around $140us each and are well worth! You'r gonna want to get a decent pre-amp for them though... They work well for drum overheads, acoustic guitar, and even vocals!

My first pair

While they weren't purchased for anything like what you are doing. I have used them successfully for all those applications.

A pair of Audio Technica 835's. They are considered choir mics. In reality they are small diaphram cardiod condensers with a very flat response. I have used them from lectern mics, record symphonies, nature recordings, bands, drums. I find them very versitile. Not the cheapest, a pair will run you $350 or so.

EDIT
Ooops, that's 853's not 835's

end edit

Last edited:
Isn't the AT835 a shotgun mic? Just a question, not a challenge.

I know for sure that the AT835b is, I have one that I use for movie sound. I wouldn't personally use it for anything musical because the pattern's so tight, unless I was 100 ft. away from the source or something oddball.

I'm really happy with my MK/C-012's for a cardoid stereo pair.

While you're looking around, check out the Studio Projects B1 large diaphragm condenser. At $79 each, they're becoming extremely popular for recording the sources you've mentioned. I've owned a pair of them for about a year now, and they've become my favorite "go to" mics. :)

I am using a pair of Shure KCM109's (for Guitar - about $170 each) and a Groove Tubes GT66 (for Voice - about $500). Havn't had much experience with anything else yet, but I've been happy with the results so far.

Just curious if anyone has had any experience with the Studio Projects T3?

I just tried to edit my above message, but it seems i passed the limit...

I was going to add that the homepage on my profile has some of my wife's songs that I have recorded, If you want to see what the mics sound like... I recorded the guitars first using the shure mics.. , followed by voice on the GT66... ( my wife has been playing for almost 2 years, and I've only been recording for about 4 months, so be nice... :) )

Back