Condenser Mic on Kick Drum

PlnsMstkn4Jacob

Bad idea or is it commonly used?

Seems kind of risky with all the air that the kick drum puts out, but I've done it in the past and it sounded really good and clear.

What precautions should I take when doing this?

I 've never put one in a bass drum unless it's spec'd to do that (e.g. D112) but hey of it works for you without issue, great and that's an ideal way to get an awesome kick sound. I might have to try that myself. What exact model and brand of mic are you putting in your kick?

The only precaution I imagine is putting a windscreen on the mic would reduce the possibility of moving air messing with the diaphragm and cutting down on undesired rumble or overtones the moving air creates as condensors seem quite susceptible to this. You'll be moving alot more air if you have a hole in your resonant head as opposed to no vent hole and I assume you obviously have a vent hole to get the mic in there to begin with. A makeshift windscreen can be a regular old sock but two pairs of pantyhose will do the trick if you can get up the nerve to buy some at the store. (over store intercom: "We need a price check at register six for item 3499237 women's petite black pantyhose ") lol. "Um...they make my microphone sexy!!" LOL

...or you can hunt around for a special all purpose LDC windscreen like the big fuzzy ones you see on those boom mics on TV...can't think of what those are made of
(looks like wool or something) so this is where someone else can fill in the blanks.

I'm not thinking of actually putting the mic inside of the kick drum, but more like 5-6 inches outside of the kick drum, and maybe putting a blanket or something over the kick drum and the mic to isolate the rest of the drums a little bit. I have a pop filter so I would probably put that on as well.

That should be fine. If you have an SPL meter, do a quick check to ensure you are not exceeding the mic's limit. Unlikely that you would, but a check won't hurt.

One of the best kick sounds I got when I was messing around a few months ago, was with my D112 inside, and my MXL V69 about 2 feet in front of the bass drum and off center, but pointing towards the center.

funkdrmr said:
One of the best kick sounds I got when I was messing around a few months ago, was with my D112 inside, and my MXL V69 about 2 feet in front of the bass drum and off center, but pointing towards the center.
Funk drummer,
Do you put a gate on the MXL so that it only allows the bass drum through? Or does it sound fine wide open?

You have to be careful how close you put them to the kick drums, O burned up a set of C414's using them on kick drums.
It sounded awesome until the diaphramgs were blown out! :p

Just make a Kick drum tunnel, and mike it from the other end of the tunnel.

Tim

light a match

this is courtesy of mr. harvey gerst but...

light a match and place it where you're planning on putting the LDC. If the match goes out, you might get something nasty - a pop, or fuzz, distortion in general - or the diaphragm might blow out. If the flame only wavers or doesnt' move at all your mic should be fine.

I almost always put a tube LDC (an older rode) a foot or two out from the kick, sounds great....

saburo

Back