Condenser mic hookup to analog equipment

dethride

I want to hook up my Nady phantom power unit/AKG 220 mic set-up into my TASCAM 106 or 3440 TEAC. Got female XLR end and attempted to make my own 1/4"-to-XLR, Found an online diagram, and realized thru further reading that condensers are "balanced" and I want to know how people hook up them to analog equipment. Interface?

I want to hook up my Nady phantom power unit/AKG 220 mic set-up into my TASCAM 106 or 3440 TEAC. Got female XLR end and attempted to make my own 1/4"-to-XLR, Found an online diagram, and realized thru further reading that condensers are "balanced" and I want to know how people hook up them to analog equipment. Interface?

You need something (like a small mixer) in between them for the XLR to XLR conection that will provide Phantom power to the Microphone.

:cool:

You need something (like a small mixer) in between them for the XLR to XLR conection that will provide Phantom power to the Microphone.

Is it that cool to not read the OP :D He has a phantom power supply :p

OP, if you need to go from XLR balanced to TS phone plug unbalanced, you wire pin 2 to tip and pin 1 to ring. The question is what to do with pin 3. The answer varies according to the microphone, but for your 220 I'm pretty sure the right answer is to leave it unconnected.

Of course, that is for the XLR-->TS plug from phantom power supply to recorder. From the power supply to the mic, you need to use a standard XLR-XLR mic cable.

Also note this will unbalance the microphone over its entire cable run, so you might suffer from interference as a result. To solve that, you need a transformer or balanced input amplifier between the mic and recorder.

Yeah ...Wierd how did I miss THAT?

But deathride you must head this from MSH VlVlVlVlVlVlVlVlVlVlVlVlVlVlVlVlVlVlVlV
you need a transformer or balanced input amplifier between the mic and recorder. you need a transformer or balanced input amplifier between the mic and recorder.

Please do not take my statements out of context. I said he *might* suffer from interference, in which case and only in that case would a differential amp/transformer become necessary. Odds are the correctly wired cable will work fine.

Seriously dude, your post count is getting way inflated with stuff like that. Chill out, man :drunk:

Sorry MSH... I wasn't quoting your statements out of content for malaise. As you can see I must of grabed it wrong I was trying to get the whole paragraph but messed up and that part you see was printed twice.

You tided up a lousy thread and that part of the statement of the unbalanced line might being a problem can be annoying when it happens.

I just wanted to make sure of the importance of that fact stood out. So that the OP would go back and reread your post to fully understand that possibility and be prepared for the worst, just in case.:D

Thanks, mshilarious, for steering me in the right direction. I can use your info to make sense of the diagram I saw online. I've got the cable ends, I just need to get the right cable.

moresound, I miss stuff like that all the time! I'm excited to get my little studio up and this mic problem is really got me stalled. But with this info I can get it going again.

Now, any brands or suggestions as to where to get "transformer or balanced input amplifier"? I googled it and ain't coming up with anything in my paygrade.

That's right. I'm actually trying to understand all I can before I go forward. I just realized I have an SM58 with a transformer XLR/1/4" and wonering if this is what I need. Or is it just for dynamic mics like the SM58?

That's right. I'm actually trying to understand all I can before I go forward. I just realized I have an SM58 with a transformer XLR/1/4" and wonering if this is what I need. Or is it just for dynamic mics like the SM58?

I don't understand your question.

You could always get something like an Art Tube MP and a TRS to TRS cable. $30+$12. Not the best results, but it will bridge the gap between between mic and input. And even has it's own phantom power option. Unless you needed something not run on traditional A/C power. Or don't have mail delivery or something in your area. You seem to have internet, so I don't see how any of that would be a problem.

moresound,
But deathride you must head this from MSH VlVlVlVlVlVlVlVlVlVlVlVlVlVlVlVlVlVlVlV
you need a transformer or balanced input amplifier between the mic and recorder. you need a transformer or balanced input amplifier between the mic and recorder.

My question is about the "Line Transformer" I have plugged onto my dynamic mic's cord and whether it is the "transformer" mentioned above and if it's compatible with my condenser mic. It's specs are: 50K ohms 1/4"plug <-----> 500K ohms XLR jack
No brand name that I can see, but it appears to be well made.

:cool:[/QUOTE]

Back