Condenser mic hiss with Sonar

Graymalkin2001

I use a Dell PC with SoundblasterLive! soundcard with Sonar 2 XL. I decided to get a decent microphone and preamp, so I purchased an AKG C-3000 condenser mic, and an ART Tube MP Studio preamp (phantom power for mic). In all settings, I get a lot of hiss. NOT what I expected. Using my trusty Carvin CM68, however, I get clear sound with no hiss, with or without the preamp (although stronger signal with preamp, obviously).
Obviously, the soundcard has 1/8" stereo input, so I've tried the C-3000 in a variety of ways: XLR in, 1/4" transformer in, 1/4" out, transformer out (with 1/4" to 1/8" adapter), and I still get hiss.
I purchased the mic & preamp from Musician's Friend. Judging from the highlighter marks in the owner's manual, it is a return, so I wonder if the previous owner damaged the mic.

If anyone has any advice on correcting the mic problem, please let me know. I expected to be pleased with the AKG/ART combo, but it has been frustrating.

Thanks!

im goin through the same problem with my audigy card man........i just bought my set up an apex mic with art tube pre and i get an enormous amount of hiss......maybe its the preamp maybe its the cables who knows........i will hopefully find out this week when i get new cables.....if that doesnt work imma get a dmp2 pre amp see how that works.........peace

And I was thinking about getting an Audigy EX!
I'm going to try the mic through my mixer and see if it still has hiss.

Let me know how you do dealing with the problem!

Thanks

First of all, hiss is absolutely normal and too be expected. How much hiss is "a lot of hiss" is the question then.

The ART Tube MP is a noisy preamp, no question about it. Also, if this is your first condensor, make sure you're not confusing room noise for hiss....you get that thing anywheres near a computer and it's going to be noisy as hell.

Slackmaster 2000

It seems like weak link in the audio chain is the audigy soundcard. Why not try a sound card with balanced (XLR or TRS) inputs? Then you'd be getting the full +4 signal into the recorder rather than a stepped down -10dB. More headroom can equal less noise and the soundblasters are notorious for high noise floor/radio interference. If you've already got a decent mic/preamp why not go with a pro card rather than a gaming/entertainment card. Try anything from Echo, M-audio, Aardvark or another pro soundcard manufacturer.

But the point about room noise is a good one. If the hiss is way below the recorded signal the problem might not be as bad as it seems...hows the recorded sound on playback?

oo ya well stated i prefectly understad about room noise......except the hiss carries on throught the recording process........i hooked my dynamic mic through the same input and it worked fine........so what im thinkin is that its the cable aand/or the input cable......hmm any sugesstions.....peace

It seems like weak link in the audio chain is the audigy soundcard.

While this may be true, I doubt it would produce what would be described as a "lot of hiss". Better soundcard eventually is a good idea, but I don't think that's the problem.

pglewis said:

While this may be true, I doubt it would produce what would be described as a "lot of hiss". Better soundcard eventually is a good idea, but I don't think that's the problem.

While nornally I'd agree with you, it seems like this is a major complaint of Audigy users. Just look at Sophisticated's post about hiss. Two cases, not exactly seintific but...

The Audigy is just a hyped soundblaster if I'm not mistaken. I've never had any good audio experiences with those gamer cards.

Could the problem be from stepping the signal down with a cheap transformer in the line? I' don't think a new cable would help though.

Try turning the computer's monitor off...you never know.

What is hiss?

From a soundblaster I would expect your noise floor to be in the -40 to -60db range. From something like a Delta 1010 you'll see something in the -92 to -96db range.

What's your noise floor at, with nothing plugged in?

Slackmaster 2000

Just look at Sophisticated's post about hiss. Two cases, not exactly seintific but...
You'll also note an Art Tube pre is common to both cases :D. Much more likely suspect to me. I've done plenty of recordings with my crappy SB cloneish card and while not all that tasty sounding, they weren't overly hissy.

hiss is the obnoxtios humm sound....the ovious room noise with an extra punch of ass humm that never goes away....even during playback.....BLAHHHHHHHH!!!.........i hate it i just asked creative for help and this dumb woman said she wants me to unplucg mah soundcard and pug it back iN???? wtf is that gonna do but gimmie alot more un needed head aches.....

whats noise floor......if its what im thinkin its dandy no humm b/s.....but when i plug the mic cord in with nothing on not even the preamp the i get the hiss then i power everything up and its the hiss times satans little gremlins laughing...

pglewis said:

You'll also note an Art Tube pre is common to both cases :D. Much more likely suspect to me. I've done plenty of recordings with my crappy SB cloneish card and while not all that tasty sounding, they weren't overly hissy.

I've actually A/Bed the tube MP with my eventMP1 and found no audible difference.

If the mic is plugged into the mic in that could be the problem. Comming out of the preamp you would need to go in the line in for sure. The mic in has it's own preamp that would cause tons of noise in line with the ART preamp.

ok fellaz im am currently lookin at my manual............there is a mic in that is 1/8 of an in and there is a line 2/aux2 in the front of the external box......1/4 in. connection thats what im using.......not sure where else to plug it into beside that spot.......

Sofisticated said:
hiss is the obnoxtios humm sound....the ovious room noise with an extra punch of ass humm that never goes away....even during playback.....BLAHHHHHHHH!!!.........i hate it i just asked creative for help and this dumb woman said she wants me to unplucg mah soundcard and pug it back iN???? wtf is that gonna do but gimmie alot more un needed head aches.....

whats noise floor......if its what im thinkin its dandy no humm b/s.....but when i plug the mic cord in with nothing on not even the preamp the i get the hiss then i power everything up and its the hiss times satans little gremlins laughing...

Hiss is hiss. Hums are hums. They are not the same. It sounds like you have a ground loop problem. Make sure everything is plugged into the same electical outlet.

Room sound is a whole different matter and can only be treated by killing the noise in the room.

sorry then its humm mixed with hiss when i power everything on......what do u think would stop this problem.........new cables or new a new pre......

Back