Condenser Mic for under £60?

Jaybo

Hi guys,
I am just starting to create a little mini studio, and i have decided to buy a microphone. The main uses for this mic will be to record Acoustic guitar, possibly vocals, and piano.
The difficult part is, my budget for the whole bundle is £100. I have decided to get a Behringer Xenyx 802 Mixer so i can record my guitar, bass and microphone into my computer. My soundcard only has one 1/8th inch jack available, so i will put my guitar, bass and mic into the mixer and use a mono to stereo 1/8th inch jack from the master out of the mixer to the single input of my soundcard to connect them. I also want the mixer as it has a built in mic preamp and phantom power for the condenser mic. It costs £47.
With this is mind, i can only afford to spend £50/60 on my condenser mic, and i know everyone is going to tell me that i really should pay more for one, and that they are all crap, but i cant. I dont need anything too brilliant, just something reliable which will suit a newbie like me.
so my question is, can anyone recommend an adequate condenser mic which will see me through 2 years before i get a better one. I am looking at the chord CCM1 Studio Condenser Microphone, any views on that?

Thanks

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I can't use another interface because my computer won't let me use two interfaces simultaneously, and my soundcard is viewed as an interface already, i can only use one interface at a time. So I can't have a separate mic interface as my computer won't let me (unless I've done it wrong). I know this as I tried using a jack to USB interface for my guitar, and it happened then. I know it sounds a bit weird, but this does appear to be the case, and even though it could be me doing it wrong, I don't want to risk it. Also, I only have usb2.0 ports, so there could be latency?
Also, if I didn't get mixer, it would be awkward recording different instruments like guitar and bass into one 1/8th inch jack line in, even though I don't need to record two instruments at once, it would be a bit of a pain constantly connecting a reconnecting

Reconsider using a USB interface. You can disable your onboard sound card so no conflicts. Also most interfaces have 2 inputs that double as xlr or 1/4 jack inputs. In addition, you'll have less latency with the USB interface.

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I can't use another interface because my computer won't let me use two interfaces simultaneously, and my soundcard is viewed as an interface already, i can only use one interface at a time. So I can't have a separate mic interface as my computer won't let me (unless I've done it wrong). I know this as I tried using a jack to USB interface for my guitar, and it happened then. I know it sounds a bit weird, but this does appear to be the case, and even though it could be me doing it wrong, I don't want to risk it. Also, I only have usb2.0 ports, so there could be latency?
Also, if I didn't get mixer, it would be awkward recording different instruments like guitar and bass into one 1/8th inch jack line in, even though I don't need to record two instruments at once, it would be a bit of a pain constantly connecting a reconnecting

Everyone's sound card is viewed as an interface...an audio interface simply substitutes for it. There won't be a problem there if you decide to get one. Don't get the mixer it'd be a poor use of funds, which you are quite short on!

I have to say that your reconnecting/connecting excuse is pretty weak...is it really that big of a deal? It takes like 15 seconds max. You'd get MUCH better sound quality with an AI rather than running a decent(at-best) mixer into a cheap sound card. No latency with usb 2.0 ports either.

However all of this is offset by the fact that what you are trying to do with the funds you have isn't really possible. You can't scrape together anything else?

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated. As you can see I don't really know what I am talking about, which is why I'm really grateful for all the help you can give me. I think you're right, and I will reconsider a USB audio interface. the only thing is that they all seem quite expensive for what they are, any recommendations would be much appreciated. I suppose I could stretch to a total budget of £150 max, including mic. I'm guessing a decent USB audio interface would cost around £80/90?
My only concern is that I won't be able to have phantom power, and therefor no condenser mic. Also, I will have no external preamp for my mic, and I know you can get software preamps, but I have been told that you need to get the best quality sound coming into your computer before you edit it, as oppose to doing it all on the music software, as you are guaranteed better results. Any opinions on this?
And, any mic recommendations? Condenser or dynamic below £60 (bearing in mind the cost of the USB interface).
Last thing, would I have to output the sound from my computer to my speakers through the ai, or can it remain in the soundcard?
many Thanks!

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated. As you can see I don't really know what I am talking about, which is why I'm really grateful for all the help you can give me. I think you're right, and I will reconsider a USB audio interface. the only thing is that they all seem quite expensive for what they are, any recommendations would be much appreciated. I suppose I could stretch to a total budget of £150 max, including mic. I'm guessing a decent USB audio interface would cost around £80/90?
My only concern is that I won't be able to have phantom power, and therefor no condenser mic. Also, I will have no external preamp for my mic, and I know you can get software preamps, but I have been told that you need to get the best quality sound coming into your computer before you edit it, as oppose to doing it all on the music software, as you are guaranteed better results. Any opinions on this?
And, any mic recommendations? Condenser or dynamic below £60 (bearing in mind the cost of the USB interface).
Last thing, would I have to output the sound from my computer to my speakers through the ai, or can it remain in the soundcard?
many Thanks!
Ahh but an audio interface will have both phantom power and preamps in it :)

Not sure about the output question...I've never tried to send out the signal through the built in sound card when recording!

150 is more like it! If you look for used gear you can get a good set-up I would think!

Reconsider using a USB interface. You can disable your onboard sound card so no conflicts. Also most interfaces have 2 inputs that double as xlr or 1/4 jack inputs. In addition, you'll have less latency with the USB interface.

Wait, what? Please explain. This does not make sense, the way it was written.

I have taken all your replies into consideration, and have relooked at USB audio interfaces. These are the products I have found:

alesis IO2 portable £70 (a little on the cheapy side, but fine for what I want it for and gives me more money for my mic)

MXL 990 £80 - seems to have some real good reviews.

With this setup, I get every thing I originally wanted, with a much better recordng quality because I have effectively replaced my internal rubbishy sound card ofr a better external one, all for £150. Slight over my original budget, but you get what you pay for I spose.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on what I have chosen? Thanks again for all your help

I have taken all your replies into consideration, and have relooked at USB audio interfaces. These are the products I have found:

alesis IO2 portable £70 (a little on the cheapy side, but fine for what I want it for and gives me more money for my mic)

MXL 990 £80 - seems to have some real good reviews.

With this setup, I get every thing I originally wanted, with a much better recordng quality because I have effectively replaced my internal rubbishy sound card ofr a better external one, all for £150. Slight over my original budget, but you get what you pay for I spose.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on what I have chosen? Thanks again for all your help

The mic is a good choice for an entry-level purchase! I've never used that interface before but it seems to have average/good reviews so it's probably solid. Remember to check to see if you can get either product or their equivalents in good used condition! That'd save you even more money to put towards one or the other. I bet if you knew where to look you could definitely find a good used MXL 990!

Yeah, I may even be able to nock the price down to my original budget if I'm am lucky. Can't wait to start recording! Thanks.

Yeah, I may even be able to nock the price down to my original budget if I'm am lucky. Can't wait to start recording! Thanks. Although I ami a bit worried that a second hand mic could be damaged, as condensors are so delicate.

Back