Condenser for my voice? listen

gospel

Just wondering what inexpensive condenser studio mic some of you experienced folks in this forum thought would be good for my voice? I use a Fostex MR-8. I will be using Mackie mixer for preamps if I don't get a battery powered condenser. The vocals on the recording were done using a Shure beta 58 dynamic. I've been told I will get a better sound with a condenser. Check out these vocals and see what you think would be the best inexpensive condenser for my voice? www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2892&alid=-1

Well it's the Gospel Truth that you should audition each microphone in PERSON. (sorry couldn't resist)

Your Mackie will tend to perform better with a condensor, rather than a dynamic microphone, due to the pre's in the mixer.
A relatively safe choice, without hearing you in person, would be the Studio Projects B1 as it's quite neutral in tone.
It's a very nice sounding microphone IMHO.
That would also give a bit of variety in your sound too, as a Shure Beta 58 is much more assertive in tone.

Chris

chessparov said:
Well it's the Gospel Truth that you should audition each microphone in PERSON. (sorry couldn't resist)

Your Mackie will tend to perform better with a condensor, rather than a dynamic microphone, due to the pre's in the mixer.
A relatively safe choice, without hearing you in person, would be the Studio Projects B1 as it's quite neutral in tone.
It's a very nice sounding microphone IMHO.
That would also give a bit of variety in your sound too, as a Shure Beta 58 is much more assertive in tone.

Chris

Your the second person to tell me Studio Projects B-1. Sad to say I don't have anywhere in my area to go in and try out different mics. Just might have to take some of you guy's word for it.

You might as well just get it and play around with it a few MONTHS to see (hear) how you like it.
It can easily take that long to figure this stuff out, what with microphone placement and all.

Even if it doesn't become your main "go to" mike, it's terrific for rehearsing since it's so "honest".
It's been handy for me lately to improve matching vowel sounds, when singing in an acapella quartet. Sometimes I spread the tone horizontally ala Jerry Lewis :) due to poor enunciation habits.

Chris

If you buy the mics used on ebay and then treat them well, what you will lose in value if you decide to resell them is negligible

I always go that route.

It's actually kinda' fun. Just play the ebay game. Try and find a good deal . . . try it out for a while, and if you don't like it, then turn around and re-sell it.

Repeat the above steps untill you find one you really like. If you're shrewd in finding good deals, then you might not lose very much, and what little you might lose, just view it as a rental fee.

That said, after listening to your sample, it sounds as if you might actually be happier with a good quality dynamic mic. It sounds like you really like to belt out! I almost always prefer a dynamic for that type of vocal (loud, aggressive, etc.) It's a common misconception to assume that a condenser will sound better on vocals.

Seriously, though, I think your money would be more wisely spent on a better drum machine. :D That thing just sounds horrid ! ! ! Your voice, by the way, sounds awesome though.

chessrock,
I agree about the drum machine. That recording was done from 3 different areas of the US. Georgia, Virginia, and Washington. It was a collab project. The mix you heard was the first mix. The final mix is going to be on the vol. 2 comp CD. We had a great guitarist and bassist, but didn't have a drummer. I appreciate your comments about a mic and you also backed up one of my theories that maybe it is just a tradition that you have to use a studio type condenser on recordings. Along with this theory is that I might not need to change mics. I might need to change pre-amps? What do you guys think?

There's nothing at all inherently wrong with the Mackie preamps. Nothing particularly special either, but they should get you there.

I personally don't mind how the Shure sounds on your voice at all. It does sound just a tad strident, though, I must say.

Verdict: SM7.

If you are curious, just get one that fits your budget. Just try it. Go on eBay. Go to GC. Spend some time singing into it in your recording environment, and get familiar with what you get out of it. Lay down a vox track into various mixes and see how it sits. Develop your ears for what makes it work, not work and work better, objectively.

There's no one answer.

Now, what exactly don't you like about your vocal on the track? Vox track seems a bit brittle in louder passages and a bit sibilant. I don't think that's a mic issue and overall vox is not bad at all, especially compared to the, err, rythm track.

tigerbomb said:
If you are curious, just get one that fits your budget. Just try it. Go on eBay. Go to GC. Spend some time singing into it in your recording environment, and get familiar with what you get out of it. Lay down a vox track into various mixes and see how it sits. Develop your ears for what makes it work, not work and work better, objectively.

There's no one answer.

Now, what exactly don't you like about your vocal on the track? Vox track seems a bit brittle in louder passages and a bit sibilant. I don't think that's a mic issue and overall vox is not bad at all, especially compared to the, err, rythm track.

I didn't have a problem with the vocals at all. Maybe a eq cut here or there or different effects, but overall I like how the mic (Beta 58a) sounds with my voice. I also have a SM58 that I could try. The reason I was even asking about a condenser was that several people, after hearing the collab project, said that I should try a condenser. Thanks for your input.

Back