Concrete Room

Dexter411

As we speak, I am preparing to do some homerecordings in my basement studio. As of now, I am recording drums in an all concrete room (not finished). I have the set on a movers rug thing to stop slippage and, as of now, am wondering of any "ghetto" sound treatment methods for JUST my drums. IE: How effective is setting the set in the middle of the place and setting chairs with blankets around it, etc...

Any ideas/things to try would be appreciated.

Thanks

...Bump...

Come on; someone must have experience trying to record drums in a room full o' concrete walls.

PS: The room is pretty big and with high ceilings; if that makes a difference.

Think: tons of dampening, acoustic foam, hanging carpet, difusers the whole gamut!!
I did a gig a couple of years ago at a college where we were set-up in a large cinder block room with high concrete ceilings (It was actually a large dining area). It was a performance of West African percussion (loud djembes, dunnuns, kryins, djabaras, balafon, etc.). It was recorded for us by a friend and he had a few good hypercardioid dynamics up and two pencil condensers in a stereo pair. Hypercardioids become like omnis in a room like that. Reflections up the wazoo.
Echoes all over the place. It sounded like it was recorded with tons of reverb and delay inside an empty oil drum. Audience murmur was pickeed up and amplified in that room, it was a mess!
All that being said, I wish I could start with a room like that because you CAN control the acoustics and you usually have good isolation from the outside world and visa versa. Check your question out with the experts like John Sayers over in the studio forum, or better yet, get his book.......and don't be hitting any loud crash cymbals in that room until you treat it.....you might hurt someone.
;)

LOL -- Funny you should say that. The previous owner, a drummer, told me his son broke a window hitting a very high-pitched cymbal REALLY loudly in this place. Seems that the sound waves echoed from that frequency so loud and for so long because of the reverb, that the window shook itself into pieces.

Back