Concrete Blocks

I've seen the auralex equivalent of it (diffusorblox or sumthing) in a friend's control room. He's an classical guy and really perfectionist in acoustics. Uses them in front and at the back. the rest is painted brick and some hanging panels. Very non-traditional control room, but sound nice, bright and .... diffuse ;)

to his sayings the RPG things do not work (QRD's), and he tried a *lot* of different things.

Herwig

These seem to be based loosely on something thats been in existance for quite a long time- Alot of cathedrals dating way back to the middle ages used pots built into the large rock walls- seems everyone forgot what they where- but the were apperently an attempt at a helmolz resonator or bass trap (dont remember exactly)- I remember some discussion about that from an Architectural history class I took a few years back in college. Interesting stuff- apperently they work by allowing a wave to enter through the opening but when it reflects off of the interior surface it hits another surface next to the opening- thereby not allowing it to excape-

John care to elaborate?- I wonder though- what happens to that sound energy that doesnt excape- does it turn to heat? or maybe it just degrades the material?

-jeff

kremit: in the churches they're Helmholtz resonators. If you have a copy of the Master Handbook it's in there.

John: the Auralex ones. He told me he had a helluvatime finding the diffusorblox in Belgium, because at first there was no distributor/manufacturer and he would have to order large quantities (genre concert hall)... Finally he got some deal and covered two walls, each about 4m width, 3m high covered for about 80-90% with the diffusorblox.
I'm gonna search for a link if he has one... wait a sec :D

[5 min later]

oopz, sorry John, it's the RPG DiffusorBlox, not Auralex. Link can be found here

Nope, no pictures. He's a classical guy, records mostly mobile and in his little concert hall he has. Very audiophile, high standard.

Back