Conaway drums - opinions please

Davenhurst

I'll be looking to buy some new drums in the (not very) near future, has anyone bought a kit from conaway drums? If so, how do you rate it? I'm planning on putting up a fair bit of money, so i want to be paying for quality and a kit that'll last rather than forking out a wodge of cash just for a name.

i also was looking into the conway drums. great prices but i hear that the hardware is a little lack luster, i personally love the idea of having custom drums but i would like to touch and play them before paying and i would suggest the same for anyone.

RecordingIdiot said:
i also was looking into the conway drums. great prices but i hear that the hardware is a little lack luster, i personally love the idea of having custom drums but i would like to touch and play them before paying and i would suggest the same for anyone.

Exactly, the idea of it is good, as long as the drums are top quality and built to last. Anyone know any drum centres in the UK with conaway drums to bash? Guess i'll check the website....

I have heard nothing but good things from the owners of conaway drums. While I have not heard them personaly, they use keller shells, so they are pretty good quality. Some of their finishes arent too hot, but they have some nice ones, and some cool wraps too. All in all, they are amazing drums for the price.

You may want to check out epiarch drums, they too use keller shells, but they have some amazing finishes.

Search arround on google and the pearl drummers forum, there are plenty of threads regarding both companys.

never used one, but i've been watching comments on them for a few years.

from what i hear, the drums are very good. keller shells, taiwanese hardware (you can order it from places like drummaker.com), decent finishes although sometimes not perfect.

soundwise, nothing but good things.

think of it this way: orange county drums and percussion use the same stuff (keller shells, taiwanese hardware) and charge you enough to get a brain tumor removed, but with a real nice finish. these are excellently priced with considerably less markup and not as nice a finish. also, i guess, you'll probably have to replace the heads, as i recall someone saying that they're sub-standard.

but go for it. i've emailed the guy once or twice and he's been nothing but helpful. he's also flexible.

in the end, i decided to built my own kit. it actually ended up costing about the same as a a conaway kit. you won't save any money that way, and there are more chances that you'll fuck it up, BUT it's great fun.

Ok, here's my take. The drums are quite nice, keller shells as you know. Mine are all maple. The hardware is cheap, one of my tom mounts actually broke as I was putting it on my rack for the first time. The finish on the drums is ok, nothing fancy. I think they'd look alot better if the clear coat was sprayed on like the major names do. The brush strokes are visible if you're close. Also the verneer on mine is bubbled up in a few spots on every drum. It dosen't affect the tone or anything, it's just not glued down 100%. Actually here's my kit http://www.conawaydrums.com/newveneers/qmaplekit.jpg . Sound wise the kit sounds great. I'm very pleased with the sounds I'm getting. I can post samples if anyone wants to hear them. Overall it's a great kit for the money, I really don't think you can go wrong with his drums, or his prices.

Back