Computer Support Phone Scam

TetraFish

Just got a call from the Microsoft security center in New York, Although it sounded as if he was in New Delhi. Anyway, the guy asks if my computer is on and tells me that my computer is infected and spreading death and disease across the internet and he's here to help. Thank god I thought to myself, Sanjay is here to save the day. I go along with the little scam until he tries to get me to bring up the command line in Win 7. At this point I tell him he's full of shit and asked him how he can tie my IP address to my phone number. Sanjay tells me there was a survey, you know the one where they phone you and you give them your IP address. Then I ask how he knows it's a specific machine on my network when the outside world only sees my router. Sanjay is getting irritated now. Finally after a few more minutes of me telling him he's full of crap and him telling me my computer was diseased he finally gave up and hung up.

I only wish I would have played along a little longer to find out what he wanted me to do.

Haha nice! I would have kept saying "ok I did that, now what?" and screwing with his mind :D

Yeah, but after he tells you the next step, put the phone down for 5 minutes, while you go on with whatever you are doing, then pick it up and say that. With luck, you can keep the jerk from making trouble for anyone else for hours...

I had one of those a couple of months back... it was great fun playing along with it for a while... then I got bored and told him to fuck off and save it for impressionable grannies...

I had one of those a couple of months back... it was great fun playing along with it for a while... then I got bored and told him to fuck off and save it for impressionable grannies...

Haha :D I can imagine it now...

"Why don't you just fuck off and save it for someone who cares! Like impressionable grannies!"

:D

I just had another call. This time I play along as long as I can.

So he makes me go to the computer logs and look for errors, which there are many on any win machine. So I tell him the errors and he gets real concerned telling me all those programs are infected. Then we look a disk errors. Of course there are many. Again he tells me my disk is corrupted. Then he gets me to open a browser and wants me to go to a web site called *****DO NOT GO TO THIS SITE****** tbs123 dot com. At this point there is no way I'm going to this site so I have to end the ruse.

Then I unload on the dude. I kinda surprised myself 'cause I'm not usually like this but I unleashed a profanity laced tirade that would make a sailor blush. It felt great, I swear I got an adrenaline rush.

I am actually grateful for the sick computer telephone spammers . . . they help me practice and refine my passive aggressive behavioural skills.

Another trick you can try is to say that you're a bit busy now, but that you'll call them back and ask for the number. They just about drown themselves in their splutter.

Then I unload on the dude. I kinda surprised myself 'cause I'm not usually like this but I unleashed a profanity laced tirade that would make a sailor blush. It felt great, I swear I got an adrenaline rush.

Teehee :D

Did he reply or just hang up?

These particular scum are out out of the Seychelles off the coast of East Africa.

Domain Name.........: tbs123.com
Creation Date.......: 2011-09-08 00:00:00
Expiration Date.....: 2012-09-08 00:00:00

Registrant Details..:
Registrant Name.....: Michael Riek
First Name..........: Michael
Last Name...........: Riek
Address Line 1......: P.O. Box 1004
Address Line 2......:
City................: Victoria
Country.............: SC
State...............: Mahe
Post Code...........: 1004
Phone...............: (+248) 5672525221
Fax.................: (+)
Email Address.......: ftp@chromewebsolutions.com

Admin Contact Details:
Address Line 2......:
Email Address.......: ftp@chromewebsolutions.com

Technical Contact Details:
Address Line 2......:
Email...............: ftp@chromewebsolutions.com

DNS Delegation details:
Nameserver 1: ns1125.websitewelcome.com
Nameserver IP 1: 174.121.2.226
Nameserver 2: ns1126.websitewelcome.com
Nameserver IP 2: 174.121.2.227

Ha, that was just registered yesterday. The service I used must be out of date. Here's what I got...

Tbs123.com Registry Info
ICANN Registrar: XIN NET TECHNOLOGY CORPORATION Registrar Status:ok Creation Date:Tuesday, September 29, 2009 Update Date:Tuesday, September 29, 2009 Expiration Date:Wednesday, September 29, 2010 Whois Server:whois.paycenter.com.cn
Whois Query Result (Whois tbs123.com)
By submitting this query, you agree to abide by this policy.

Domain Name : tbs123.com
PunnyCode : tbs123.com
Creation Date : 2009-09-29 13:53:45
Updated Date : 2009-09-29 13:53:45
Expiration Date : 2010-09-29 13:48:46

Registrant:
Organization : Li wei
Name : Li wei
Address : Dongguan dongchen dongshenlu 88hao
City : dongshi
Province/State : guangdongsheng
Postal Code : 523000