Computer set-up?

Fox

I'm interested in spending between $1500-$2000 on a desktop as the center of a recording set-up. My main goal is live tracking of drums, but I'm looking to expand into more live tracking and MIDI. What are some examples of computer systems that would work with my needs? (either PC or Mac, possibly refurbished models for a lower price?). I'm also looking for suggestions in terms of recording software, and interfaces (e.g. MOTU and Digidesign 002) .

A good friend of mine works at the Lawrence Labratory building the innards of these thing and swears by Dell computers. On his recommendation I picked up a refurbished Dell and have had nothing but satisfaction with it. He told me that they put the best components in their systems. And after I slapped the old M-audio 66 and Plexter Plexwriter I have'nt had a problem.

You can get a GREAT computer for $1,500-$2,000 dollars.

You could build your own computer. If you're not computer savvy, then pick up a refurbished DELL (as previously suggested). ;)

You'll need to get another soundcard. Take a look at the Delta 1010 or the Motu 2408 mkIII

Don't forget, you have to factor the additional prices for...

monitors
multi-track program
editing program
maybe, an additional hard drive
maybe, an additional video monitor

spin

Thanks for the help so far guys. Let's say I pick up a Dell Dimension 8200 or XPS, and I got a Digidesign 002, would that be all I need to get started (aside from mic's and cables)? The 002 looks to be a very attractive package because it can act as a mixer, a master (w/ included Protools), and since it's through a firewire, would I even need to replace the sound card? Any thoughts on the 002? Would the 002 limit expandability?

Before you buy a computer to use with the Digidesign 002, make sure you check out their website for system requirements, etc. I posted some of the information below:

Digi 002 Rack with Pro Tools LE 6.1.1 for Windows XP Requirements
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Performance Guidelines

* Recording to the system startup drive is not recommended
* For desktop models, a separate internal or external dedicated audio hard drive is highly recommended for maximum performance and track count (see Hard Drive Minimum Requirements)
* Although limited recording and playback of audio tracks may be possible using the internal drive in laptop models, a separate external dedicated audio hard drive is highly recommended for maximum performance and track count. Digidesign recommends the use of FireWire drives for use with these computers. (see FireWire Drive Requirements)
* When using FireWire storage with Digi 002 systems, connect the Digi 002 and the drives to separate FireWire ports if possible
* If only one port is available, connect the drives to the CPU, then connect the Digi 002 to the drives
* For best performance on laptops, it is suggested that you set your monitor to 256 colors
* Pentium 4 or Xeon systems with HyperThreading technology must have "Intel HyperThreading" in the system BIOS disabled.
* Dual processor machines may need to have network cards disabled for best performance

Known Incompatibilities

* Digi 002 Rack will not function if any Digidesign PCI cards are installed in the CPU. (Digi 001, Audiomedia III, TDM cards)
* Computers with motherboards containing SiS (Silicon Integrated Systems) chipsets
* AMD K6, K6-2 or K6-III, K7 processor based computers.
* Older Dell Inspiron & Latitude notebooks that run under 1ghz are not compatible with the 002. Please see recommended laptops section.
* Do not connect a DV video camera to the same FireWire bus as a Digi 002. Most CPUs with two FireWire ports still have only one FireWire bus. If you need to add an additional FireWire bus to your CPU, see the list of Digidesign-Qualified FireWire PCI & CardBus Cards
* Laptops users need to disable integrated wireless networking
* Asante Network cards are not compatible with Control|24 on Windows XP
* Pro Tools does not support RAID technology. Please do not activate this feature.
* Some HP Pavilion models do not meet the minimum requirements as listed in these compatibilitiy documents. Before purchasing these or any computer, please carefully go over these documents and the exact specifications of the computer to make certain that all of the compatibility guidelines have been met.

Additional Compatibility Information

* Maximum Performance Guidelines & Known Incompatibilities

Qualified FireWire PCI & CardBus Cards

* A 1394 ("FireWire") controller/interface is required to connect the Digi 002 to your computer. Some computers have built-in 1394 controllers, while other computers require add-in 1394 PCI or PCMCIA controller cards (purchased separately)
* See: Digi 002 Qualified 1394 Interface Cards for more information

Supported CPU Models & Requirements

The following CPUs are required for best performance with the Digi 002 Rack:

* Intel Pentium 4 or Xeon CPUs running at 2.0 GHz (or faster)
* AMD AthlonXP 2000+ CPUs (or faster)

Recommended Desktops:

* MusicXPC Professional
* Carillon

Recommended Laptops:

* Dell Inspiron 8500 (Pentium 4-M) and 600m (Centrino) models
* Gateway 400 series (with Pentium 4 or 4-M)
* Toshiba Satellite 1900 series
* IBM A series and T series

The following CPUs are compatible with the Digi 002 Rack, but may not provide the best performance:

* AMD AthlonXP 1500+ CPU (or faster)
* AMD Athlon "Thunderbird" CPUs running at 800 MHz (or faster)

The following CPUs have not been fully tested and therefore are not recommended for the Digi 002 Rack, as they may not provide the best performance:

* Intel Pentium III CPUs running at 600 MHz (or faster)
* Multi-processor CPUs

Chipset Requirements

The following chipsets are recommended for best performance with Intel P4 processors:

* Intel 850/850e
* Intel 845/845e/845pe
* Intel 865pe/875p

The following chipsets are recommended for best performance with AMD Athlon and AthlonXP processors:

* VIA KT266A
* NVIDIA nForce

Note: The VIA KT333A and KT400A chipsets were not tested with the Digi 002.

The following chipsets will work with Athlon and AthlonXP processors, but may not provide the best performance:

* AMD 760
* VIA KT266
* VIA KT133A

RAID Not Supported

* Pro Tools does not support RAID technology. Please do not activate this feature on any Pro Tools recording drives.

Additional Computer Requirements

System Software:

* Windows XP Professional or Home Edition
* Service Pack 1 Required
* Windows XP Settings & Requirements
* Pro Tools LE 6.1 can NOT be installed or used on systems running Windows 98, Me, 2000, NT, 95, or 3.1

Total System RAM:

* 384 MB minimum
* 512 MB (or higher) highly recommended

Additional RAM may be required for for:

* High edit density sessions
* Sample rates above 48 KHz
* DAE buffer setting larger than the default
* Extensive use of plug-ins
* Simultaneous use of MIDI sequencers or software options such as DigiTranslator
* Additional RAM is recommended for better video playback performance

Thanks for the help so far. The MusicXPC professional desktop mentioned above seems like a very attractive, compact and efficient product (at least from their website :-), and it falls within my price range. Any experience with these systems?

Back