Computer selection, interface selection, and other advice???

ASG

IM planning on getting a new computer and audio interface soon. My desktop is just getting too old and the tascam us-800 gets on my nerves do to the fact that i cant hear myself playing. Im not really picky about wether to go pc or mac, Just whatever i am convinced will be most effecient for home studio. but ive been hearing some good things about macs, so if you prefer pc what makers are good for recording, and if you prefer macs what are the benefits of them? ALso ive never complained about the idea of a seperate audio interface as opposed to a better soundcard, but what are the pros to having a nice soundcard instead? Also, im relatively new to self recording, so ANY ADVICE you all think a noob like me needs to hear wether it be on equipment selection or not giving up when frustrated, ill be happy to hear it. thanks!

If you know pc's I'd stick with a pc. Just my $.02.

If it was me I'd buy the most stripped down pc I could get. Ge a local pc builder to put together something (or maybe build it yourself) that has the best motherboard, fastest processor and most RAM you can afford. If you're going firewire check the manufacturers website for compatible hardare. some firewire chipsets can be problematic, typically Texas Instruments are fine, again decide on your interface first and check their site for compatible hardware and maybe spend some time in their forums to find out what people have had troubles with.

For an interface how many ins do you need and what sort of budget?

About how costly do you think it would be to have a custom computer done like that? I doubt i'd need more than 4 inputs, but i like these combo jacks, i mainly use keyboards and guitars but my mic uses XLR and my monitors have the option. Ive never used firewire, are their any big pros or cons? and as for budget i dont see myself paying more than $400 for interface, is that not reasonable for one of good quality?

For $400 you can get a decent interface with 4 ins and outs.

The computer could be anything from $500 to $1500. Just buy the fastest one you can. Music production doesn't require a super fast computer. If you're near a big city I'm sure they have some computer shops that build their own. Go talk to them and tell them exactly what you want to do with it and I'm sure they'd come up with something suitable.

The reason I say get one built is that a Dell or HP is going to be full of a bunch of crap you don't need, as well as the standard bloatware they load up in the factory. Also, like I said before, an interface may have some recommended hardware of a list of chipsets that cause problems, this way you can pick and choose every component.

Here's something to read about the Mac VS. PC debate....
http://www.tweakheadz.com/Mac_vs_Pc_DAWS.htm

ASG, it's really pretty simple to build your own rig. We (or I) could all walk you through it, step by step. A good place to purchase your parts would be www.newegg.com or similar.

Let us know if you want help with that - you can PM me or send a direct email to drsmith (at) drjtsmith.com if you need some off-forum advice on building a fast PC.

Best of luck on your project!

Jed

A contrarian view for your consideration.

Building a PC is simple, if you know how. I went that way once and after spending hours, hours and hours surfing various forums for the 'cutting edge' components and best build ... ended up with a wierd glitch where the 'north bridge' on the mother board black screened my pc when I installed my audio interface. It was a good interface, Echo Audio Layla 24, so I contacted the company. After 3 months they said they were sorry, they couldn't write a driver to make my setup work. Moral of the story ... all the 'best' parts don't always assemble into the best thing.

My advice is go one of two ways.

1) Google something like 'PC DAW,' or go to http://www.pcaudiolabs.com/, http://www.sweetwater.com or any other place you like and look at there completed packages. In this case you'll know everything is setup properly to work together optimally and under warranty. You get the DAW and interface all set up and working together. You can even buy with your choice of software installed. Also, because of economies of scale, i.e., these builders can get parts cheaper than you can, you might be surprised that they aren't much more expensive than building one yourself of the same quality parts. (see below the info on audio interfaces).

2) Go to the online Dell Outlet store and buy a 'refurbished, demo or returned' computer. You will save about 30% off what it would otherwise cost and it has an identical warranty as their new computers ... except the unconditional return policy is only 15 days instead of 30 days. I've bought 8 over the years, once had a problem, and it was immediately resolved. Then get some information about audio interfaces ... which you should do anyway. Check out http://www.tweakheadz.com for a good general guide to what's available and the relative advantages/ disadvantages ... and to cut to the chase ... PCI/ PCIe interfaces will always be the most reliable.

Note, if you build it yourself and something goes wrong ... you have to troubleshoot which part. There is no online 'technical support,' because you have 10 or 12 different warranties on the different parts and they'll all want to blame someone else's components.

Lastly, make sure you understand 32 vs 64 bit. With Win7 you have a lot of good choices. You can run 32 bit programs ... as most DAWs, under a 64 bit O/S. The big advantage is that you can have up to 4GB or RAM available to each program ... provided you have enough RAM. Shoot for 8GB if you go that route so you can have that much for a program and plenty left over for Windows. If you go 32 bit, you have max RAM of 4GB with about 3.7 available and nearly 2 of that hoarded by Windows. In my mind, there is no doubt someone should try to go 64 bit with 8 GB minimum on Win 7.

Good luck.

Prado

Back