Computer Recording

BluesJunkie

I'm wanting to start recording on my computer, but I don't have any idea about what I need.

Any suggestions about soundcards, software, etc...

I also need to get a new computer. (I have an AMD 450 now.) I've heard that case fans, hard drive speeds, and stuff like that affect the sound of the recording.

Any suggestions for system requirements?

* PIII or AMD Athlon processor (PIV is a waste of money for this application)
* 256 MB RAM or more
* Preferably two 7200 RPM HDD's (one for system files, one for audio files, on two separate buses), but one will do fine if you don't need to squeeze maximum possible power out of it. The IBM 60GXP drives are highly recommended.

As for motherboards and sound cards, I'll let other people handle that (they know it better than I do). What I can recommend is getting a 24-bit audio card - it will be a lot less distortion to the wave files if you process them digitally as 24-bit as opposed to 16.

Also, if you're going to use MIDI in your compositions, using a SoundBlaster Live! as a synthesizer card works well and is unbeatable cost-wise. For higher budgets and higher quality, there is always softsynths as GigaSampler and it's equals.

The various gadgets inside a computer case will probably induce some noise in your recordings, at least if you use the analog inputs on your audio card. No card (that I'm aware of) has enough shielding to withstand *all* the interference other hardware gives. A solution for this is having an external AD converter - signal goes analog from the microphone preamp to the converter, digital from the converter to the digital input of the audio card. To make this work, you need an audio card with digital inputs.

Software is a matter of taste and budget. Most homebrewers I know are happy with the cheaper alternatives, Like N-track (www.fasoft.com) or Vegas LE (www.sonicfoundry.com).

Hope this helps, and please ask again if you have more questions. :)

Although you don't need to build them yourself, ProRec has interesting articles about good computer set-ups:

AMD (the latest version)
http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/files/D6A94D6B2F7DA99186256A7F00747CC9

Intel
http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/files/E674C87E2991AA3F862568E9006D7D10

On the subject of software, you can maybe follow a huge thread on multitrack softwares here.

Since you just got here, I suggest you use the search key and look for threads on the same subject, as this question has been asked many times already, and sometimes not too long ago, giving you rather fresh information. You can maybe narrow down your search to the "Computer Recording and Soundcards" forum.

Welcome and good luck!

BluesJunkie,
Don't rush buying staff.
You already have computer, with hard drives in it.
Most likely you already have a MIDI capable soundcard, like SB or integrated into motherboard, in it. So you already have your basic hardware with exception of good soundcard. Check out M-audio Audiophile 2496, which can be found for $150 on the Internet. If you buy Audiophile, you will get Light Editions of some recording software bundled into the package. Get cables and you are able to start recording pretty much right away with minimum investment. To record ONE stereo track from the synth in 24/96 format without live effects, you can use Pentium MMX 233 computer with no problems.
Later on, as you learn more you will intelligently upgrade.
The only thing you need to try to figure out right away, is what do you want to record, which will allow you to decide how many inputs and outputs do you need. For example, if you are planning to record just yourself, two inputs would be enough (you cant play three instruments and sing the same time, right?). If you are wanting to record a band, you will need more inputs, and maybe more computer power, and you need something more powerful than Audiophile.
Don't forget about monitoring: you wont be happy with computer speakers.

ditto what webstop said,very good advice. for example ,i started computer recording in 1998 on a 366 celeron packard bell box and didn't out grow it for 2 years. it did fine tracking and the only reason i built a new box in dec. 2000 was that i needed more cpu power for realtime plug-in usage. your only problem may be, compatability issues between older motherboards(for amd)and some soundcards.

well you don't need a killer computer. I have myself PIII 800 Mhz with 128 Mb of memory and 20 Gb harddrive and it has worked just fine. Then I suggest you buy a package which includes an audio interface and a soundcard so you can start recording. Software is just a matter of opinion but I suggest you consider either Cubase VST32 5.0 or Logic Audio Platinum 4.7. Those are very good software for computer recording but they cost pretty much. You have to think that what do you need from your software and then start to think what software would be the best. Don't believe just my opinion. Check out what other people has to say and then make your choice.

Back