Computer multi-tracking : what equipment?

Geeman

I'm looking to convert my p.c. into a digital multitracker. I've read the digital article on this site but I need more specific info. My p.c. is a Gateway 2000 with a pentium 166 processor, about a 3.5 gig hardrive, 16mb of ram (Can upgrade to 64 mb's). Software is no problem. I was wondering if all I need is a decent soundcard like the Delta 66 or Layla souncards. I have an uneasy feeling that this is too good to be true. I was reading other posts which mentioned ADAT's What are these and are they essential? I would like to get a soundcard with 4 1/4" inputs ( like on some 4-track analg recorders) do I need to buy a special attachment for soundcards that can handle 4 inputs or does the soundcard come with built in 1/4" inputs or an attachment. The reason I ask is that I saw a midiman soundcard(not sure what type) that had a box, with 4 inputs and 4outputs, attached to the sound card via a cable. But other soundcards didn't have this box. As you can see I'm very ignorant of computer recording and in urgent need of advice. I would appreciate it if someone could help me out.
-Geeman

Hi, Geeman, welcome aboard.

Yeah, you're gonna need loads more RAM, but aside from that your system's about the same size as mine, and I get by. And yeah, if you get a soundcard dedicated to audio recording (like the ones you mentioned), they come with a break-out box that takes 1/4" plugs, and sometimes XLR connectors. Sometimes basic software comes with the soundcard. Gadgetlabs has the Wave/4.24 in your range I think, and they're good.

Just a question, though. Have you given any thought to standalone systems? The do-everything-in-a-box type of system? Very easy to operate, and you seem to get what you pay for, quality-wise.

ahh my friend.. yes it is pretty much that easy.. BUT.. a pentium 166 with 64 megs of ram isnt going to cut it.. and a 3.5 gig hard drive is a little small for digital audio.. if you seriously want to invest in a computer based DAW your going to need a new computer.. nothing rediculously fast , but a celeron 500 with 128 megs of ram with a 20 gig 7200 rpm drive would suffice.. and i think its about that time to upgrade anyway.. :)

as far as the soundcard goes , this is the easy part..most prosumer cards like the darla , gina , wave 8/24 , etc come with the 1/4 inch inputs on a breakout box .. and on certain cards , those inputs will be balanced as well..

- eddie -

dobro beat me to ya by 2 minutes.. :)

standalone boxes arent as flexible as computer DAWS .. ie..you cant exactly upgrade them when they start becoming obsolete , but they do offer "all in one" funtionality , which is good for the less computer savvy..

- eddie -

No I haven't thought of standalone units. To be honest I don't know a whole lot about them. I was planning on converting a p.c. because it's a spare one, There's another one in the house which is much faster (80megs of RAM, 30 gig hardisk,pentium 2 266 mmx processor) The problem is it's used 99% of the day and is only available at night. Another resason for converting the p.c. was that my brother is a bit of a computer genius and he could help with installation and the technical side of setting up, plus my uncle converted his pc for homerecording and he has plenty of software to keep me going. My budget is IR£300. Would I be better off getting a standalone unit?
I'll look into it but I'd like if you could give me some of the advantages of getting a standalone unit their over getting just a soundcard ( or will I need a soundcard as well?)
Thanks,
-Geeman

the only advantage (if you can even call it that) to a stand alone unit is that everything is in one neat and tidy package.. preamps , a mixer , a/d converters , and hard disk is already there..all you need to do is plug a mic in and record.. but , your limited to the amount of tracks (usually 8)..with a pc your only limited to the amount of tracks your computer can handle.. also with a pc your edits will be much more precise , youll always be able to upgrade , and effects and what have you are cheaper than outboard gear..

my advice would be have your computer genius friend look at your compuiters motherboard and see what is the fastest processor you can put in there..if its a pII 400 youll be ok..then max out the ram to 64 and but a larger 7200 rpm drive just for audio.. then youll have a decent system... and , all the upgrades ive mentioned are pretty cheap..

sorry if this is choppy , im late for work.. :)

- eddie -

Geeman, I'd agree with everything Eddie's said, and he's said it better than I could, but there's one more thing to consider. How many tracks are you going to be recording at one time? Right now, I'm just doing voice and guitar, so a small computer's fine. But if you're going to do a band (all at once, with lots of inputs, or overdubbing one or tow tracks at a time) you're going to need a bigger/faster computer like Eddie suggests.

Thanks Eddie I think I'll probably start saving for a new pc. Is standalone unit just another name for digital multi-tracker? Hey Dobro could you give me more details on your equipment? I write a lot of acoustic, single guitar songs. I would record these more than the band. At most I'd have 4 instruments and vocals but as you say I'd only need to record 2 tracks simultaneously. Would it still be worth getting a soundcard with 2 inputs and leaving my pc with it's current specs. I'm using a tascam porta 02. I'd only get a new soundcard if I was sure that the quality of recording will be much higher than the tascam.

Back