computer line noise

casenpoint

I just bought a new computer HP 7170. When I hook it up to my board I get line noise. I tried hooking my computer to my power cond. ,but that did not work.....Is it possible a sound card might help?

Can you give us a little more info, like "type of mixer and how things are connected"

I am just using the stereo output of the stock cp. I am running the sound through my eurodesk(beringer). I have ch3cked all connections. No problems there. It is the cp. I also hooked the cp up to a motu mkII. The noise was still there, but, not as prominent as b4. O'yeah the noise is there during any windows application, media player app. Whenever the cp is on. Not during recordings or any thing like that.

most likely your stock card is making that noise. or the sound card picking up noise from your PC. If its a PCI card try moving it to the bottom of the PC. the last slot. If its onboard well theres not much you can do. Also Ive noticed once I was using the line in of a laptop it would a buzzing sound in the recording. but then when I unpluged it and ran it off the battery the buzz was gone. I dont know if that would be of any help to you.

A couple of solutions:
1. Get a three-prong to two-prong adapter for whatever your computer is plugging into.

2. I think there are DI boxes or such with ground lifts in them. It sounds like a ground noise problem.

Try running it off the battery and see if the noise is gone.
If so you will need a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter like (with no ground) like cawhite12 said.

Back