Computer Line-in Hiss?

gumboots

I'm outputting from the headphone jack of my minidisk mixer/recorder to the line-in on my computer and trying to create MP3s of the songs that have been recorded on the minidisk. I've been doing this on a friend's computer all along, but when I do it on mine, there's a really terrible hiss that comes out on the recording of the mp3, but cannot be heard WHILE I'm listening to it record, or just playing it through the computer. The hiss exists even without the cord plugged in, so it's not the cord, and it's not the minidisk. Even if I don't record anything, but just hit record anyway, without anything connected to the computer, I still get a very tinny, un-even hiss -- it's not even white noise, but sounds like two peices of metal rubbing against eachother. Does my computer just suck, or is something set up improperly? The Line-in volume level doesn't seem to affect the volume of the hiss. It seems to remain constant no matter what is changed externally. Perhaps the software I'm using? I'm using MusicMatch Jukebox, which plays, records and burns MP3s.

Any tips or advice is appreciated, I can't seem to do anything more with it. Thanks very much.

-gumboots

Hello,

I think the problem is you are linking a headphone (louder signal) out to a line in... you should only plug line level outputs to line level inputs. Use the Line Out of your mixer.

Strummer,

Thanks for the post. But the hiss exists even when NOTHING is plugged in anywhere. It seems to be internal, in the computer. I dunno. Any other tips?

Hiya Gumboots,

I have exactly the same problem and have kinda narrowed it down to the "Input Section" of my soundcard.......in other words the soundcard is about as much use as tits on a bull.

You didn't say what soundcard you are using but I have a Soundblaster 64AWE for what it's worth, and I've gained the impression from asking questions around that I'm not the first person to have this problem with S/blaster cards. To top things off about a week ago my card was actually receiving radio signals.....apparently the input leads were acting as an antenna!!!!

Please advise what S/card you have.......but I would be looking for a replacement.

Regards........

Back