Computer interface for stereo line inputs

cortexx

Hi

I want to explore the possibility or replacing my Soundcraft spirit es stereo mixer with a computer interface capable of giving me enough resources for around 8 external stereo instruments that interface directly with my computer system. i use sonar and want to bring mixing onto my desktop PC.

I have a Virus TI , V-synth , Karma , emu xtreme x1 , DR-880 , nord lead3 and andromeda plus a VARI-os

I want to utilize effects units as plugins in sonar but also want to retain the lexicon effects racks i already have on outboard stuff.

I need outputs for my powered monitor speakers and an output should i wish to record onto my mr8-hd.

The vsynth , virus TI , nord lead 3 and the vari-os all have spdif out that i want to utilize for better sound quality too

I`m looking at a Presonus firepod X2 (daisy chained together) to give me enough inputs unless anyone has a better solution ?

I'd also like to add that I'm used to outboard gear for everything and need a few pointers to sites that can give me a crash course on using sonar(manual is not the greatest) for audio processing. To this point i have only ever used it as a midi sequencer. Every other aspect of recording , mixing and mastering has been done on outboard gear :D

Dont suggest I use softsynths BTW cause I love my outboard synth gear. I`m not ready to take the plunge and sell my soul to be completely PC based
quite yet. This is a big enough step for me as it is ;)

thanks

Back