computer (fan) noise

chesterfield

As I get better recording equipment and start to learn how to use it, the noise my computer makes becomes more obvious. I know that the fan is noisy - any recommendations as to what to replace it with? Is the fan the only source of noise? I know putting the computer in another room can help but that's not really an option for me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Chesterfield.

The fan is not the only thing that makes noise. Hard drives can also be noisy.

One suggestion that was posted here a while back (and I thought it was great, Doesn't cost any thing, and I can't remember who posted it). Take a heavy winter coat and throw over it while you are recording. This should sheild most of the noise. Other than that, you can build some type of enclosure amking sure that there will be plenty of ventilation.

Peace
Joe

A few things you can do

First off, JC Lives is right. The hard drive can be a major source of noise. Tom's Hardware (www.tomshardware.com) recently reviewed several quiet 7200 RPM drives; these might be an option for you.

Many new drives offer noise level management, allowing you to trade some speed (seek time) for lower noise levels. It's only going to make a couple of dB difference, but that could be a worthwhile improvement if the drive noise dominates. See www.storagereview.com and other hardware sites for more information.

Next, realize that quieter fans are almost always going to move less air. Fan design can make a small difference, but fan speed makes a much larger difference. Less air movement = less cooling, which can lead to fried computer parts. The good news is that many systems are overdesigned, so you can usually get away with slower, quieter fans. But if you've filled up every slot and every drive bay, play with quieter fans at your own risk.

I'd be leery about wrapping up a computer system in blankets or coats for the same reason. You might get away with it for short periods though.

If you have a choice, get the largest, slowest fan that will fit. Larger fans are quieter for the same airflow rating. Unfortunately there aren't many places in most computers where you can fit a larger fan.

When you do swap fans, putting in some padding on the mounting points can help reduce conducted noise. I've used self-adhesive felt for this; you should be able to find this in hardware stores. You could try this trick with the drives too, but remember that you have to have a good ground connection between the chassis and the drive.

PC Power and Cooling (www.pcpowercooling.com) makes a line of quiet power supplies called the Silencer series. I've used these in Mac clones, and they are indeed very quiet and well built. I can recommend them from personal experience.

Much of the noise from a computer is actually re-radiated noise, from panels buzzing in sympathy with the fans and drives. In another thread, Skippy talked about using Dynamat on the sheet metal and plastic of a computer chassis to quiet it down. Cascade Audio (www.cascadeaudio.com) is another manufacturer of similar products (I forget who suggested them, but it was here, I think). See your local car stereo emporium.

If the computer sits on a hard surface, such as a desk or a wooden floor, noise and vibration can be conducted through the feet and re-radiated by the desk/floor surface. Felt on the feet will help here too.

Last, even if you've quieted the computer as much as you can, you'll still want to keep whatever noise remains out of your recordings. Locating the computer low on the floor, under a desk, and generally as far away from the mic as possible is a good policy. Point the fans away from the "studio" area, but make sure the air has somewhere to go. Carpet on the floor, and cloth or foam wall coverings around the computer, will help absorb the sound instead of reflecting it.

So, here's the order I'd try these in:

- Location. Moving the computer is free!

- Sound dampening around the computer. Cheap or free, and you don't risk frying the CPU if you don't open it up.

- Dampening materials inside the computer. Still cheap, still relatively safe. Just be careful not to block airflow or short anything out.

- Fans and power supply. Fans don't cost much, but good power supplies -- and fried components -- do.

- Hard drive. Drives are definitely not cheap, and it's a hassle to move all your software and data over.

I hope this helped!

Here is a site of a UK company that makes PC Power Supplies with special low-noise fans. Got the site from this board

http://www.quietpc.com/index.html

The site has links to reveiws. If I was more serious about my studio I would have already bought one. As it is, I just bought a Rode NT-1 and now I have to noise proof my house, so I may be looking into it.

Throwing a coat over your PC is fine as long as you leave a clear opening for the power supply fan to vent out. Since that is where most of the noise usually comes from this might make it moot.

Its true that some hard drives are noisier than others- Seagate Baracuda drives seem to be particularly vocal. Not much that can be done about it.

Thanks for the suggestions. The down parka over the computer sounds like a good idea - it's only for a few minutes at a time, while recording with a mic. Just have to remember to remove the coat when I'm not recording! I'll also lok into different fans - btw, is it possible to run the computer for a few minutes without the fan connected? This would tell me hopw much noise is coming from the hard drives, case, etc.

I recently bought an AT4033, and I'm finding out just how accurate the mic is, and how noisy my recording environment is.......... anyway, thanks again.

I looked into various fan solutions a while back but lost interest as the 7200rpm hard drives are as noisy as my fans, or at least noisy enough to not make changing the fans a good enough solution. You can run the computer for a few minutes w/o the fan running. However, I don't think that this is a good solution as you have to wait a while between the takes and it's easy to forget to swich on the fans and since a couple of minutes too much is enough to fry most of the computer, it's just not worth it. Water cooling is more quiet than fans but you have to put in a lot of work as you need to build a water cooled power supply. Still, the HDD will make it's usual noise. If your HDD is quiet enough, perhaps with the use of a HDD muffler case, you might want to look into quiet cooling systems but if you can hear your HDD, don't bother because it'll never be good enough. So, IMHO, trying to make the computer quiet enough is far more work than you'll ever get results for. Putting the computer in another room is best, building a properly ventilated sound-proof box around the computer is good and throwing a heavy blanket over the case during recording is good enough for starters.

/O

Related to quiet,
A company is just releasing a new power supply that is water cooled! and dead quiet. They had to get Electrical approval. I left an email message to inform me when it is released. Also, larger DAWs should have at least a 300Watt power supply. Some systems that would not run at 250Watt are fine at 300Watts.
Chuck

That sound neat but I would be a bit reluctant to running water through a 230V system. Maybe it's released on the 110V market only. Still, if they got the approval, maybe it's safe enough.

Water-cooled everything is close enough but you're going to need a really quiet HDD as well.

Thakns for the heads-up

/O

This is yet another reason to keep a 57, or 2, around . When I am using the NT-1, I will definatlely try the coat muffler.

Back