Computer DAW or All-in-one?

Neito

Pouty-face
I'm torn between buying a laptop + interface or an all-in-one DAW ( http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/D3200/ , for instance). Are there any advantages (other than editing) for getting a computer, as opposed to an all-in-one? Is the portability actually increased, or am I better off getting a small rack and a computer? Also, any opinions on the internal effects of all-in-ones versus using outboard processors?

Also, in the realm of all-in-ones, is there one company that is especially well-known for their units, or is it up to the user? I would think it's preferencial, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

I'm sure it's preferential. I prefer the computer myself. It's just what I like. I have access to lot's of plugs, and I like messing with the pc. Had I learned on something else, I'm sure it would work just fine.

I was so used to a physical interface after having a analog system back in the late 80's that when redoing my setup this last year I opted for a Korg D3200 with just a few outboard units to complement(such as a TC-Helicon VoiceWorks and a ART TPS-II tube preamp). With a host of nice mics (such as the Rode NT1-A, NT2-A, K2, Neumann KMS105 and Sennheiser e614) it makes for a sweet clean setup with a familiar hardware setup. Easy access to a plethora of high quality ON BOARD digital effects and functionality makes for a superb and affordable package. You would most certainly have to invest a considerably higher sum of dollars in a system as competent on a computer setup. The Korg can now be had for under $1300. Unless you are planning on getting a system for well over $2000 this is the best buy IMHO..

Thanks for your input! Is editing an issue on the 3200? I know it's pretty point-and-click on a PC. Is it more difficult on the 3200?

The all-in-one versus the DAW is a matter of preference; both having their strengths and weaknesses. I have used both and I personally like the all-in-one recorder better from a stability/portability perspective. The all-in-one is a recorder and that's it and if you had the discipline to treat the DAW the same way then most of the instability issues wouldn't be there. The problem is and I was guilty of this as well is trying to resist the temptation to use the PC (DAW) to surf the net, work on word / excel documents etc. essentially doing everything in excess of what it was intended for; a DAW. My advice, if you elect to go the DAW route, is do yourself a favor and buy a cheap computer to do all of the other stuff you do on the PC and only use the DAW as a DAW. You'll be glad you did. With regard to the the D3200, that is one heck of an all-in-one unit which seems to get rave reviews everywhere you go. The cost/feature ratio makes it a no-brainer IMHO.

all it one's are decent if you can find one with all the editing options. The later Roland machines suprised me alot with all the comp like editing capabilities.... But honestly I pretty much hate the sound most of those all in one's have that super digital sound you dig

When I was shopping for all-in-ones, I had a hard time finding one with a sequencer. Most just record audio. So if you want to sequence MIDI drum/keyboard parts, you'll need a computer or separate seq for that. Many recorders have drum machines built in, so if that's enough for you, then great.

I ended up with a Roland MV-8000. It handles MIDI + 8 tracks of audio (stereo or mono). It's only 16-bit, but that gets the job done for me. You can also get an expansion card for adding a monitor. This makes editing much like PC work. Just plug in a flat screen and a mouse and you're all set. The MV-8000 is marketed as a sampler/groove box (it as 16 trigger pads that I never use), but it can do more traditional recording as well, as long as you can live with only 8 tracks. It also comes with a meager 128 RAM, so you'd want to max it out at 512 for more live tracking.

I could have gotten much more bang for the buck with a MOTO-828II and DP/Logic/Cubase software for my Mac, but I really wanted something with knobs, sliders, and no major stability issues. The MV is not perfect, but I like it. Lots more info at mvnation.com.

My advice would be to suck it up and learn to make a computer work for you!Do your homework and you can get a lot of bang for your buck.If you choose not to,there's probably alot of choices in all in ones that'll work for you,but the computer route is much more flexible and expandable.
Also,I'm no expert on this,but you may be better off going with a rackmountable case housing more of a desktop,than using a laptop,unless you already have the laptop and have you heart set on using it.

Yep, it's personal. Pros and cons in both directions. I chose a standalone DAW because it's so portable, tactile, stable, and simple to use. I also happen to use two computers at my regular day gig, so I like to get away from them for awhile when making music. But most of my musical friends have gone the computer route for their own good reasons. My advice? Know thyself, then choose. Either approach can produce excellent results with the right skills. Good luck.

J.

I've done both also. I moved to the computer DAW when it became seriously viable, and wouldn't go back. It's a choice between an open archetecture and a closed archetecture. The Computer DAW is unlimited tracks, unlimited busses, unlimited editing, unlimited signal processing, unlimited storage, integrated virtual instruments, software samplers, etc. It's AE Disneyland, where your imagination can run wild, and anything is possible.

Below a certain quality level, outboard gear isnt going to compete with pc...

A tascam all in one wont give you any benefit over a computer DAW.

an otari might.

I use computers for editing , mixing, and mastering.

the actual recording is done with outboard preamps. adcs and a standalone recorder but for classical music, NOTHING beats the precision of Computer editing. and I dont like "analog" sound on my recordings. I like precision.

I think it's a matter of taste and preference as well.

I went with the standalone, mainly because I'm not very good with computers... :o
I went with the Akai DPS 24 and I'm much impressed. I guess it hooks up great with a computer but I dunno. The editing capabilities are excellent and the onboard pre's are nice n clean. Had it for 4 years and the only hiccup this thing has ever had was me. :D

I wouldn't trade it for any other setup.

my 2c............

Last edited:
Back