Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Alesis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PreSonus

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

awholtzapple

In the search for my Firewire interface I've narrowed the search to 3 interfaces and now I need to decide which of the 3. They all seem to be quality products with similar price tags, so really I guess it comes down to preamp quality and how smoothly it'll work with the rest of my system.

I'll be using my Macintosh 17" Powerbook:
1.67Ghz
2MB RAM
Logic Express/GarageBand/Cubase LE
I won't be using MIDI or software instruments/loops.
The chances of me needing ADAT to expand the system is small to none.
I'll be doing alot of rock but also some softer acoustic stuff where a great sounding vocal and vocal preamp is a must.

The three interfaces in question:

-MOTU 8Pre
-Alesis io|26
-PreSonus Firepod

What's your opinion? Thanks!

I'd go for the Presonus. I haven't used any of them, but if you search around on here, I think you'll find that most comments on it are pretty positive, at least from what I've seen.

Yeah I definitely did pick up on that, but the other two are pretty new so not as many people have had the chance to own them. I'm just trying to get the best interface for my money regardless of how new or time-tested it is!

I can only comment on the Firepod, that's what I own. I like it a lot. The pre-amps are OK, I can't compare it to the MOTU, but I expect they're pretty close to the same considering professional studio quality pres are $1000 per channel and upward. I've had good success with my firepod. Much better success than I have had with DAW software.

The MOTU 8Pre does have one preamp-related thing going for it, though: individual per-channel phantom and pad switches. The Presonus FIREPOD has phantom ganged in 4-channel groups and lacks pads at all.

As far as sound goes, I haven't done any critical listening, but at first glance, I didn't hear any appreciable difference between the MOTU 8Pre and the Presonus FIREPOD. They both sound good with my ribbon. Again, though, I haven't sat there and A/Bed them or anything. Maybe I should.

Back