Computer building question?

Julia

Here's a quick question, but this is disturbing to me.

I'm about to do my first computer build. All the components have arrived, and before I even so much as set up my work space, I'm here reading my motherboard manual cover to cover as many articles I've read advise.

I've noticed something interesting, which is that in the step-by-step instructions for installing the CPU and heatsink fan, there is not a single mention of using some thermal paste or thermal grease. And in fact, there doesn't appear to be any included with the processor and heatsink kit, (Athlon XP 2500+ Barton). What's up with that? Do I not need thermal paste at all? If I do, I guess I'll have to order some and wait a few more days to build my system.

I ask because I read through many "build your own computer" sites before tackling my first project, and they all mention this thermal grease or paste, etc. My manual for my motherboard (an Abit NF7-S) doesn't even mention it.

Any guidance out there?

Julia

thermal paste...

Okay, thanks...I certainly will. I thought it would be included with the processor. There's one lesson learned.

Anything special I should order, or are they all about the same in quality and performance?

block of gray crap

ive got an xp 2500 and it had a themal compound (more like a brick of gray crap)on the processor alrealdy but it looked real crummy so i got it off there and used a good compound instead id suggest using a different fan and cooler combo for the cpu too if yours came with the amd brand (amd is was more concerned with sound levels than cooling!!) a good mid rpm fan and copper cooler will suffice

Re: block of gray crap

scottyd said:
ive got an xp 2500 and it had a themal compound (more like a brick of gray crap)on the processor alrealdy but it looked real crummy so i got it off there and used a good compound instead id suggest using a different fan and cooler combo for the cpu too if yours came with the amd brand (amd is was more concerned with sound levels than cooling!!) a good mid rpm fan and copper cooler will suffice

Thanks. NOw this concerns me, as I was told that the stock fan with this processor is actually a good cooling instrument and very quiet. Sigh. I didn't order another fan. Reviews are overwhelmingly good on the stock fan, that's why.

Thanks for the tip re: the thermal compound, and not using too much of it. Much appreciated.

Julia

Rmoving the gray thermal crud may void warranty...remove it with nothing abraisive. If rubbing alcohol alow it to dry well, Apply the new compound to the cpu, a thin even layer and follow recomended set times. Artic silver 3 is very good, There is also a thermal pad that has gotten great reviews, can't recall the name, I'll get back to you. There should be no fibers left behind after cleaning and nothing hanging over the edge of the die. Make certain the rest of the cpu is grease or silver compound free.

For stock applications, the existing TIM will be just fine. I wouldn't worry about it, especially considering the phase-change TIM that AMD uses on their current OEM heatsinks. The old "foamy" junk that they used to use (and AFAIK Intel still does) was a different ballgame, but the current stuff is decent for non-overclocked processors.

And yes, the stock heatsink is suprisingly well-constructed for an OEM unit. The days of OEM heatsinks being terrible are over, though for overclocked applications significant gains can still be made with a quality aftermarket cooler.

themal compound

Thanks, bullhill.

I've actually been advised that the "gray thermal crud" is perfectly sufficient, especially where the 2500+ is concerned. I'm hoping that's the case because you made a very good point. It is certainly likely that removing it will indeed void the warranty, and if AMD put that gray thermal crud on there, while it may not be the optimal solution, it has to be sufficient. I can't see my system suffering from it, certainly.

I'm actually debating just leaving it and following the motherboard instructions as they are...they say nothing whatever about thermal compound, interestingly enough.

Thanks again, very much.

Julia

Marquis' follow-up post...

Thanks immensely, Marquis. I appreciate the information as always. And I don't plan on overclocking. Just orchestrating music. :) THis is great information.

I'm anxious to get to work on my first build. And nervous! Very.

Again, thanks.

Julia

Good idea Julia,

Caution with heatsink application, the Barton core is recangular. I'm not trying to scare but the directions that come with the cpu and HS are good, I think you were going to follow them closely anyway.

different strokes for different folks

i hold firm that amd factory heatsinks and fans are junk, more the fan than the heatsink but whatever your preference, i saw a 7 degree difference just by changing fans, than a 18 degree difference by going to a copper cooler, yeah on a stock setup the factory one would prob. be ok but keep in mind that running effects uses cpu more than anything (causing heat), and a cool cpu is a HAPPY cpu and will run much smoother. and be care installing the cpu with the factory thermal compund too as it will easily slide out of place!!

Scotty!

that cracked me up

thanks for the chuckle

I am so confounded over this issue of the thermal compound. Why in goodness name would AMD put gunk on a heatsink which is insufficient as a cooling agent for the processor?

I'm afraid to scrape that stuff off and put some other thermal compound on there (I don't even know if there's a little square under the gray gunk which would indicate precisely where to place the compound), as I really dont' care to void my warranty on my first build, but on the other hand I'm also really nervous about using the gray clay gunk you guys so despise and curse (rrrrraaaaah), because I don't want my precious new processor to overheat.

What a quandary. I'm such a Gemini. :rolleyes:

Re: different strokes for different folks

scottyd said:
i hold firm that amd factory heatsinks and fans are junk, more the fan than the heatsink but whatever your preference, i saw a 7 degree difference just by changing fans, than a 18 degree difference by going to a copper cooler, yeah on a stock setup the factory one would prob. be ok but keep in mind that running effects uses cpu more than anything (causing heat), and a cool cpu is a HAPPY cpu and will run much smoother. and be care installing the cpu with the factory thermal compund too as it will easily slide out of place!!

The currently shipping OEM heatsink froms AMD are copper, at least on all the Barton-core processors. You're right that the fan isn't the most powerful, but it is quiet and more than adequate. A stock 2500+ with the included heatsink/fan/TIM will run between 31 degrees C and 40 degrees C at stock speeds. That's plenty cool when you aren't overclocking, and not even too bad for mild overclocking.

Besides, even if our snobbish opinions of the heatsink/fan combo are in every way right, AMD warranties this processor with this cooler for three years. Manufacturers don't sell products with such warranties if they are inadequate and likely to break down.

yeah i overclock (im not all about the warranty)

its too often that manufactuers will not hold up to there warranties anyways, but yeah marquis is right about the warranty but my barton (amd xp 2500 mind you) came with a cheap ALUMINUM heatsink not copper, it was all packaged by amd and if there distributing them with copper now they must have seen a potential problem, as mine would run 51 degrees and wouldnt overclock at all, there all different in that department mine could possible just run hotter than most, im not saying that yours will or that it wont work just fine but keep in mind you have to moniter stuff like that(i use sisofts sandra to do this) and you can make it work better! you should never just assume that everythings working fine.

That's weird, have you had your 2500+ for awhile now? I've neve seen one that didn't have a copper heatsink.

Of course, I've also never seen one that wouldn't hit 3200+ speeds at default voltage. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Really, though, 51C isn't that hot. I wouldn't try to do much overclocking at that temperature, but the spec maximum is 70C. A fair bit of head room, there.

I agree 100% with Marquis. First AMD has improved there HS 's
and I have only 1 machine with a high end HSF and paid for -6c that I didn't need. 3 other machines all oc'd with stock AMD HSF including tha thermal compound shipped on HS.
1 2800+ Tbred @ 11 x 214 47c with load vdimm + .05 vcore+ I forgot and that's not too hot for me. 6/2/3/2

Oh yeah, when you get to the bios give a shout.

Back